This tangy small batch potato salad without eggs is the perfect summer side. This easy salad takes less than 30 minutes to make, has bacon in it, and is great at a BBQ or with added grilled chicken for your own dinner.
[This recipe was originally posted in July 2019. It has been updated with new cooking instructions, expert tips, FAQ, related recipes, and ways to repurpose/use up ingredients]
PIN HERE to add to your recipe box.
Table of contents
How this potato salad is gonna make your life easier
This small batch potato salad without eggs isn't just a great side dish to take to a summer BBQ but, when you add some simple grilled chicken or edamame-it makes a delicious full meal for one + leftovers.
Also try these sides: Shaved Zucchini and Corn Salad, Broccoli Salad with Grapes, Rainbow Coleslaw, or 5 Minute Asian Coleslaw.
What makes this simple potato salad so good
How to make this potato salad
Start this potato salad without eggs by cooking the potatoes, if you haven't yet. Here's how I cooked the potatoes in my Instant Pot. Instead of setting the timer for 17 minutes, cook them for 10 minutes.
Cook bacon while potatoes are cooking, and chop about 1 cup of (cut) vegetables, if you're making it as a side dish. Cook chicken now too if you want this for a whole meal.
I used green bell pepper, celery, tomatoes, and green onions because that's what I had on hand. Use whatever you have. This salad is great with lots of different vegetables in it.
Transfer cubed potatoes to medium mixing bowl, add remaining chopped vegetables and cut bacon to the potatoes.
Set salad bowl aside and whisk together red wine vinegar, extra virgin olive oil, salt, and dijon mustard in a small bowl. This dressing really makes the potato salad flavorful and delicious.
Pour salad dressing over vegetables and toss your potato salad until it's well incorporated.
You can eat it immediately, but it's better after sitting for about 15 minutes or overnight (in the fridge). It's also great the next day!
- You can substitute the red potatoes for yukon gold potatoes. Both of these potatoes are great because they're tender and creamy.
- Cut vegetables (except tomatoes) into similarly sized small pieces for your potato salad without eggs.
- Use vegetables you have on hand, feel free to switch them up if you have different veggies on hand
You can make mayo based potato salad or a vinegar based one, like this potato salad. Most potato salad recipes include steamed/boiled potatoes, some vegetables and/or eggs, and a dressing.
Lots of potato salad recipes include hard boiled eggs. It comes down to whether or not you like hard boiled eggs and if your salad will be unrefrigerated for a few hours. This potato salad without eggs is refreshing and great for non-egg lovers.
Cutting potatoes before boiling them will cut down on cooking time, so yes-I recommend it!
Instead of thinking about potato salads, including this potato salad without eggs as being healthy or not, like to make a vinegar based salad if you're in the mood for vinegar or if it will sit out for hours.
At the end of the day, as a non-diet dietitian, I recommend choosing a potato salad recipe based on what you're eating it with/in the mood for. This is about practicing Intuitive Eating and tuning into your body to decide what to eat.
Ways to repurpose this no egg potato salad
- Turn your potato salad into a full on salad by doubling the dressing and adding your favorite greens
- Swap out some potatoes for pasta to turn it into a fun and easy summer pasta salad
Other recipes using potatoes
- Rustic potato and brussels sprouts gratin
- Cheesy Instant Pot mashed potatoes
- Easy breakfast tacos
- Cajun shrimp and veggie tin foil packets
- Sheet pan roasted vegetables
Did you make this potato salad without eggs? leave me a comment to share how it turned out!
Eggless Potato Salad
- Instant Pot
- cutting board
- Mixing bowl
- Sautee pan
- Small bowl
- Serving spoon
- 1 pound medium red potatoes cut in half
- 1 cup water
- 2 slices bacon
- ⅓ cup grape or cherry tomatoes sliced
- ¼ cup green bell pepper chopped
- 1 stock celery choppe
- 1 whole green onion sliced
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- ½ tablespoon dijon mustard
- ½ teaspoon salt divided
- Cook Potatoes: Pour 1 cup water in Instant Pot bowl then place 1 lb of evenly sized potatoes on steamer basket in Instant Pot bowl. Secure lid of instant pot and set vent to SEALING. Set to STEAM, and set timer to 10 minutes. Let pressure release naturally for about 5-7 minutes after timer goes off. Then open vent, remove lid, and take potatoes out of the Instant Pot. Cut into even sized pieces. Place in medium sized mixing bowl.
- While potatoes are cooking, place 2 slices of bacon on a large skillet over medium heat. Cook until desired crispiness, between 5-10 minutes. Once done, set aside. Pour excess grease into heat safe bowl to save for later. Chop bacon once it's cooled enough to handle.
- Mix salad dressing together by adding 2 tablespoon red wine vinegar, 1 tablespoon olive oil, ½ tablespoon dijon mustard, and ¼ teaspoon salt to a small mixing bowl. Mix until incorporated.
- Add remaining vegetables and bacon to mixing bowl. Pour dressing over vegetables, and mix until well incorporated. Serve immediately or store in refrigerator until use.
- Turn this into an entree by cooking chicken with the bacon
- This salad makes great leftovers, letting it sit and marinade in the fridge will make it even more flavorful!
Want to get more single serving recipes and others like this potato salad without eggs delivered to your inbox? Click here to download my Single Serving Cookbook.
Recipes are great, but you’ll need a simple 3 step process to create a meal plan that make cooking easy & helps you stop wasting food. Check out this expertly developed meal planning guide to get started.
I love this salad not only because it's eggless but also for the delicious vinaigrette dressing. So perfect for summer!
yes! it's soo good & will last longer outside than a mayo based one or one with eggs
Jessica Formicola says
This is my kind of potato salad! I love that you added bacon and tomatoes!
bacon is the best!!
This is such a delicious salad. Perfect for the hot weather. I'm always afraid to bring mayo based potato salads to picnics. Thanks for sharing!
yes! that's one of the best parts about this salad
A potato salad is a must at a BBQ and this looks like a delicious egg free version.
thanks! this one will last outside for longer than an egg version too
Delicious and the addition of bacon makes it taste soooo good!
totally agree! bacon just puts it over the edge
Vicki Carr-Walden says
I'm always looking for a great recipe to make for my weekly lunch meal prep so I can take it to work. Do you think this would work out? Ofcourse, I would leave out the eggs and I could add them if I like the day I would eat it.
Hi Vicki, yes absolutely! this easy potato salad is great after a day or a couple. It actually doesn't have eggs in the recipe so you don't have to worry about them, but hard boiled eggs would be a great (and super easy) protein packed addition! great idea