This light and tangy potato salad with bacon and vegetables is the perfect summer side. It's also a great dish to take to a summer BBQ. This eggless potato salad takes less than 30 minutes to make, and is great at a BBQ or with Grilled chicken added.
PIN HERE to add to your recipe box.
How this eggless potato salad is gonna make your life easier
Chopped vegetables, freshly fried bacon, and a simple dressing.... that can sit in the sun for a bit AND is just as good day 2? Can life get any better? I like to leave the potato wedges fairly large which means that you chop them up really quickly, and the remaining vegetables are easy & quick to chop. This is not like your traditional salad with lots of chopped ingredients.
Why I love this recipe
I love a good potato salad, but tend to get tired of the traditional mayo potato salad, so this vinaigrette dressed potato salad is so fresh and bursting with bold flavor, it's the perfect easy accompaniment to grilled meat.
How to make this no-mayo potato salad
I start with quartered red potatoes, chopped celery, green bell pepper, scallion, halved tomato, & bacon. I used these ingredients partly because that's what I had on hand, partly because they sounded good. At it's base you definitely need potatoes, bacon, some type of onion, and tomatoes. Everything else is just gravy.
Here's how I cooked the potatoes in my Instant Pot: Pour 1 cup water in Instant Pot bowl then place 1 lb of similarly sized red potatoes on steamer basket in Instant Pot bowl. Secure lid of instant pot and set vent to SEALING. Set to STEAM, and set timer to 10 minutes. Let pressure release naturally for about 5-7 minutes after timer goes off. Then open vent, remove lid, and take potatoes out of the Instant Pot. Cut into even sized cubes.
Cook bacon while potatoes are cooking.
Transfer cubed potatoes to medium mixing bowl, add remaining chopped vegetables and cut bacon to the potatoes.
Set salad bowl aside and whisk together red wine vinegar, extra virgin olive oil, salt, and dijon mustard in a small bowl.
Pour salad dressing over potato salad and toss until well incorporated. You can eat this salad immediately, but I'd recommend leaving it out at room temperature for at least 15 minutes to let the potatoes and other vegetables soak up some of the dressing. It's also great the next day!
- Cut vegetables (except tomatoes) into similarly sized small pieces.
- Use vegetables you have on hand, feel free to switch them up if you have different veggies on hand
Do I have to cook the potatoes in an Instant Pot?
Absolutely not. If you don't have an instant pot, I'd recommend boiling the potatoes similar to how you boil potatoes to make mashed potatoes. Here's how you can cook them over the stove.
Is this no-mayo potato salad healthier than regular potato salad?
Instead of thinking about it being less or more healthy, I like to make this salad if I'm in the mood for lighter flavors. The vinegar based dressing is bold, refreshing, and so good. Sometimes it's fun to make a potato salad that's not the traditional mayo based one. I also like this salad because it's safer to sit out for longer than a salad with mayo, so it's easier food-safety wise. At the end of the day, I recommend choosing a potato salad recipe based on how it pairs with the other foods you're cooking/eating and what sounds good vs the nutritional value of the ingredients.
What can I serve this potato salad with?
What if I want to turn this into a full meal itself?
I've added grilled chicken to this salad. It's easy, cooks along with the bacon, and tastes great with the dressing, potatoes, and bacon. Rotisserie chicken would be great, guess I'm highly recommending adding chicken to it, but edamame would be easy and delicious too.
Ways to repurpose this potato salad
- Turn it into a full on salad by doubling the dressing and adding your favorite greens
- Swap out some potatoes for pasta to turn it into a fun and easy summer pasta salad
Other recipes using potatoes
- Rustic potato and brussels sprouts gratin
- Cheesy Instant Pot mashed potatoes
- Easy breakfast tacos
- Cajun shrimp and veggie tin foil packets
- Sheet pan roasted vegetables
Did you make this eggless potato salad? leave me a comment to share how it turned out!
Eggless Potato Salad
- Instant Pot
- cutting board
- Mixing bowl
- Sautee pan
- Small bowl
- Serving spoon
- 1 pound medium red potatoes cut in half
- 1 cup water
- 2 slices bacon
- ⅓ cup grape or cherry tomatoes sliced
- ¼ cup green bell pepper chopped
- 1 stock celery choppe
- 1 whole green onion sliced
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- ½ tablespoon dijon mustard
- ½ teaspoon salt divided
- Cook Potatoes: Pour 1 cup water in Instant Pot bowl then place 1 lb of evenly sized potatoes on steamer basket in Instant Pot bowl. Secure lid of instant pot and set vent to SEALING. Set to STEAM, and set timer to 10 minutes. Let pressure release naturally for about 5-7 minutes after timer goes off. Then open vent, remove lid, and take potatoes out of the Instant Pot. Cut into even sized pieces. Place in medium sized mixing bowl.
- While potatoes are cooking, place 2 slices of bacon on a large skillet over medium heat. Cook until desired crispiness, between 5-10 minutes. Once done, set aside. Pour excess grease into heat safe bowl to save for later. Chop bacon once it's cooled enough to handle.
- Mix salad dressing together by adding 2 tbsp red wine vinegar, 1 tbsp olive oil, ½ tbsp dijon mustard, and ¼ tsp salt to a small mixing bowl. Mix until incorporated.
- Add remaining vegetables and bacon to mixing bowl. Pour dressing over vegetables, and mix until well incorporated. Serve immediately or store in refrigerator until use.
- Turn this into an entree by cooking chicken with the bacon
- This salad makes great leftovers, letting it sit and marinade in the fridge will make it even more flavorful!