Bring watermelon onto your dinner plate with this easy watermelon chicken salad. It's made with sweet juicy watermelon, tender chicken, peppery arugula, salty feta, and chewy barley. This salad is summer on a plate, no doubt!
If you're looking for more easy salad recipes like this watermelon chicken salad, try a chicken salad with Semi-Homemade BBQ Ranch Dressing, Chicken Strawberry Salad with Balsamic Dressing, or a Beet and Arugula Salad.
Table of contents
How will this recipe make your life easier?
Refreshing, easy salads are the best dinner option during triple digit summer days, that's where this easy watermelon chicken salad comes into play.
It's got fresh arugula, watermelon, and feta to bump up that refreshing factor, as well as tender chicken and barley to help you feel satisfied and full.
Make your watermelon chicken salad even easier by using rotisserie chicken. That way you won't have to cook inside or fire up your grill.
What makes it so good?
How do I make this watermelon feta salad?
Start making your watermelon chicken salad with ¾ cup cooked barley and 2-4 ounces cooked chicken, so if you don't have any pre-made, add about 20-30 minutes to your cooking time to make this watermelon chicken salad.
You can also use rotisserie chicken or precooked frozen chicken, or precooked or frozen barley.
Chop watermelon to make 1 cup cubed, cucumber to make ½ cup chopped, red onion to make 2 tablespoons minced, and also chop 8-10 pistachios. Set aside if you haven't chopped any of these ingredients yet.
Assemble the watermelon chicken salad by piling 2-3 cups arugula in a large bowl or plate, then add chopped chicken, watermelon, handful of blueberries, cucumber, red onion, and chopped pistachios on top of arugula. Set aside.
After assembling the arugula chicken salad, pour ⅕ tablespoons of red wine vinegar into a small jar with a lid, then add 1 tablespoon of olive oil, ¼ teaspoon dijon mustard, and a pinch of salt to jar.
Screw on lid tightly and shake until dressing is mixed well.
Drizzle over this delicious summer salad right before serving. Enjoy.
- Save time making this watermelon chicken salad by using precooked or rotisserie chicken, or precooked/frozen/quick cooking barley.
- You can swap the pistachios for other nuts if you need to, although the pistachios are great in this salad.
- Make extra salad dressing if you have leftover arugula and want to make more salads this week!
There are lots of different dishes you can make with watermelon like:
-this watermelon chicken salad recipe
-blended watermelon in watermelon limeade, popsicles, watermelon lemonade, or cocktails.
-fruit salad with a minty lime dressing
-watermelon, mozzarella, and basil kebabs with a balsamic dipping sauce
You'll definitely have leftover watermelon from this recipe, I recommend trying a few of the recipe ideas I mentioned in the question above, or cut it up and snack on it.
Watermelon is refreshing and filled with water, making it a great food to eat when it's hot outside. You can also blend it up and freeze for later to add to drinks.
What can I make with leftover ingredients?
- Watermelon: you can chop it up and eat as is, or search for recipes to make watermelon limeade; lemonade; popsicles; fruit salad with a minty lime dressing; or even kebabs with watermelon, mozzarella, basil, and balsamic dressing.
- Arugula: Pear, Arugula, and Prosciutto Pizza or a Beet Salad.
Did you make this watermelon chicken salad? Leave me a comment & rating to share how it turned out!
Watermelon Chicken Salad
- cutting board
- Measuring cups, spoons
- Small Jar with Lid
- Large Spoon
- ¾ cup cooked barley
- 2-4 ounces chicken cooked
- 2-3 cups arugula
- 1 cup cubed watermelon
- handful blueberries
- ½ cup chopped cucumber
- 2 tablespoons minced red onion
- 8-10 shelled pistachios chopped
- 1-2 tablespoons crumbled feta cheese
- 1.5 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon dijon mustard
- pinch salt
- (Cook barley and chicken if you haven't yet)
- Assemble salad by layering in 2-3 cups arugula in a large bowl or plate, then add ¾ cup cooked barley, 2-4 oz chopped cooked chicken, 1 cup chopped watermelon, ½ cup chopped cucumber, 2 tablespoons minced red onions, chopped pistachios (8-10 nuts), and 1-2 tablespoons crumbled feta on top.
- Make salad dressing by pouring 1.5 tablespoons red wine vinegar into a small jar (with a lid), then add 1 tablespoon olive oil, ¼ teaspoon dijon, and a pinch of salt to the jar. Tightly seal lid, and shake until all incorporated. Dress salad just before serving. Enjoy
- Cook a heaping ¼ cup of uncooked barley ahead of time, or use quick cooking/frozen barley.
- Use rotisserie chicken or precooked frozen chicken to save time.
- Thinly sliced zucchini would also be great in this salad.
- Make extra salad dressing to make additional salads this week
Recipes are great, but you’ll need a simple 3 step process to create a meal plan that make cooking easy & helps you stop wasting food. Check out this expertly developed meal planning guide to get started.