Easy Queso Dip
Need quick game day appetizer? This easy queso dip is so much better than store-bought, and almost as easy as buying from the store!
Servings 1 cup
Small Cooking Pot
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons whole wheat flour
- 1 cup milk
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- salsa optional
- sliced jalapenos optional
- ½-1 teaspoon smoked paprika optional
Place small pot over medium-low heat. Once hot, add 2T butter, 2T whole wheat flour, and optional ½-1 teaspoon smoked paprika. Whisk together until it becomes a paste, about 1-2 minutes
Whisk in 1 c milk. Whisk until smooth and thickened, about 1 minute, add salt. Remove from heat once incorporated.
Add 2 c cheese, and continue to whisk until well combined, and smooth. About 2-3 minutes. Pour into bowl, top with salsa or sliced jalapenos, and serve with chips and veggies.
- Swap the whole wheat flour for white flour if that's all you have
- Make sure to stir continually (and don't leave it!) so paste doesn't get clumpy or burned
- You'll be ready to remove the roux from the burner once it's all smooth, incorporated, and medium bubbles are forming (about ½ inch in diameter)
- Level up your queso dip with sliced jalapenos or salsa. Serve with chips &/or vegetables