Coconut Green Lentil Curry
This easy and delicious coconut green lentil curry recipe is a great way to try out a vegan recipe with lentils. It's bursting with flavor and takes about 30 minutes from start to finish.
Servings 2 people
- ½ cup green lentils rinsed off
- 1 can coconut milk 14.5 oz can
- ½ can diced tomatoes 14.5 oz can
- 1 tablespoon red curry paste
- ½ tablespoon packed brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon minced garlic
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups frozen vegetables
- 2 cups brown rice cooked
- red pepper flakes optional
- fresh limes
Add rinsed lentils, coconut milk, tomatoes, red curry paste, and minced garlic to medium saucepan. Bring to a boil, then reduce to simmer for 20 minutes.
After 20 minutes, check doneness of lentils. They should be soft. Prepare brown rice.
Once lentils are soft, add salt and vegetables
Top brown rice with lentil curry, and squeeze lime before eating. Sprinkle red pepper flakes over top if you'd like a bit of spice. Enjoy.
- You may need to add water (or more coconut milk) if sauce is really thick before lentils are softened.
- Not ready to use remaining coconut milk? Pour it into a freezer bag & freeze on a flat shelf to use for later.
- You may need to adjust cooking time to ensure lentils are cooked until soft. Refer to 'how to cook lentils' section in FAQ below.
- Do not soak lentils before cooking.
- Green lentils cook fastest, but you can use any type of lentil. Add more tomatoes or water if it doesn't have much water in it. You can also use precooked/frozen lentils to save time.
- If cooking traditional rice, start cooking when lentils start. If you want to save time, use minute or frozen rice.