Arugula Basil Pesto
Don't toss unused arugula, make this 6 ingredient arugula basil pesto that's ready to top your favorite pasta in just 5 minutes. It's less expensive than traditional pesto with cashews instead of pine nuts too.
Servings 1 cup
- 2 cups fresh arugula
- ½ cup cashews
- ¼ cup fresh basil leaves
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons hemp hearts
- 1 Tablespoon grated parmesan cheese
- 1 clove garlic minced
- pinch salt to taste
Add 2 cups arugula, ½ cup cashews, ¼ cup basil leaves, ¼ cup olive oil, 2 Tablespoons hemp hearts, 1 Tablespoon grated parmesan cheese, 1 garlic clove, and a pinch of salt to high powered blender/food processor, blend until well incorporated
Top pasta, fish, or other protein with arugula basil pesto immediately. Or freeze sauce in an ice tray.
- You can substitute the cashews with almonds, pistachios, or traditional pine nuts.
- Swap the arugula for spinach or more basil.
- Greens that are about to wilt or just starting to wilt are great in this recipe.
- Buy a basil plant instead of just basil leaves, because it'll regrow.
- Add a splash of lemon juice to add a tangy flavor.