Thanks for stopping by! I'm Rebecca, the cooking for one dietitian behind the scenes at Nourish Nutrition Co. Food can be simple and nourishing. You can nourish yourself with delicious food (and no diet culture) while cooking for one.
Table of contents
If you're someone who is cooking for yourself, and wants easy throw-together meals, quick prep ahead meals, and dinners that can be repurposed into other dishes, this is the place for you! I'm your resident cooking for one dietitian.
Meet Rebecca Clyde MS, RDN, CD
I still remember that first meal that made me question cooking, when I started cooking for one.
It was in my first apartment in college. I moved in, equipped with a love of food, cooking, and a special cookbook binder I created with my mom.
That meal was a delicious lemon chicken orzo salad. A salad I made once and never again. I made the recipe, which was for 6 servings. I felt overwhelmed as I spooned 5 servings into my plastic IKEA food storage container for later.
All those leftovers made me question cooking for one, as well as the rest of the food I'd bought for the week.
I wasted a lot of food then, and lost my appetite for food with the expectation to eat the same thing over and over and over and over again.
Fast forward about 5 years, college and grad school done, it finally dawned on me, I could totally rethink how I cooked for one. Make it intentional and make it work for me.
The focus on being a cooking for one dietitian started about then. (Learning about and gaining in experience in eating disorders comes later!)
I'd spent years cooking for myself, enjoying it occasionally, but consistently being frustrated with the leftovers and boredom with ALL THE LEFTOVERS. Plus the wasted food that I didn't think to incorporate into my plan.
Roommates were doing the same.
I decided to become the cooking for one dietitian.
I get it, as your cooking for one dietitian, I know it's hard to want to cook when it's for one but let me tell you, cooking can be a great way to
- decompress after a tough day
- have some quiet time
- save money
- AND you can do all this without having to eat the same dish for 5 days straight.
In addition to cooking for one, I work with people who want support rejecting the lies our society has taught us about food and our bodies, and with people recovering from eating disorders and disordered eating patterns.
Ready to start cooking for one
- Join my mailing list and get a free Single Serving Cookbook
- Start building up a well stocked pantry. This is the secret to eating deliciously without always having to plan meals ahead of time. Meal planning is great, but it's not always done, which is fine!
- Rethink Meal Planning for One, it's my cooking for one dietitian developed meal planning method.
- You'll find LOTS of recipes for one person. They're usually simple, flavorful recipes. Many use easy to find at US grocery stores, pantry staples, and share how to use leftover ingredients.
How to work with Rebecca
Why you won't find nutrition information on the recipes
I know many people are in search of nutrition information for recipes online. I get emails and comments about it. But I won't be providing any nutrition information on Nourish Nutrition, even though Google really likes it.
Here's a few things about nutrition information:
- Calorie needs vary by person and day. Eating based on calorie allowances can leave you undernourished really easily
- Nutrition information isn't really all that accurate.
- Our bodies are really smart and, when we can learn to listen to them, we get a good idea about what our bodies need to be nourished.
- Seeing calorie information online can be harmful for people recovering from eating disorders and disordered eating. I'd rather not worsen an already difficult process.
- Counting calories and worrying about what you're putting into your body is time consuming, takes a lot of mental space, and well, there's better things we can be thinking and worrying about.
- Working through these concerns with a non-diet dietitian can be very helpful, and may be covered by medical insurance. Fill out this form if you're interested in working with me or want more info.
Send me, your cooking for one dietitian, an email at [email protected]