This easy chili without tomatoes is perfect if you don't have or don't like diced tomatoes in your chili. In about 30 minutes you've got a hearty chili full of ground beef, beans, onion, green bell pepper, and warm comforting spices.
Table of contents
How will this no tomato chili make your life easier?
Easy dinners are a necessity in life. Whether you didn't plan ahead of time, need to change dinner plans, or are just hungry and need a quick, easy meal, this easy chili without tomatoes is perfect for a quick dinner.
If you cook the spices with the onions, it'll give you a bold flavor that feels like it's been simmering for hours, but this chili only takes about 30 minutes to prepare and cook.
Adapt it based on what you have on hand, add tomatoes if you love them, or have them, skip the beef and double the beans, swap that. Do what you need to use what you have. Sure it'll taste different, but will probably be tasty still.
Other great soup recipes:
- Turkey Pumpkin Chili
- Rice and Bean Soup
- Delicata Squash Soup
- Instant Pot Chicken and Mushroom Soup
- Chicken Soup for One
What makes this tomato free chili so good?
- Ground Beef: Tender meaty ground beef adds a rich flavor for the base of this chili without tomatoes.
- Onions: Fresh diced onions add sweetness and a nice base to the chili. Use dried onion flakes if you don't have fresh.
- Green Bell Pepper: Pepper adds sweetness, a tender bite, and color to this chili.
- Chili Powder: A smoky punch of flavor.
- Cumin: Adds a nutty, warm flavor.
- Oregano: The slightly bitter leafy flavor goes well with cumin and chili.
- Kidney Beans: Creamy red kidney beans add texture and a creamy bite to this simple chili. You can use white beans too.
- Garlic: Adds a slight sweetness and deep flavor here.
- Beef Broth: I like to use beef bouillon paste + water to customize the rich salty flavor of beef broth. It boils down to add lots of flavor to this chili.
How do I make it?
Start making your chili without tomatoes by heating up a large skillet over medium heat. Add ground beef, diced onion, diced green bell pepper, chili powder, cumin, and oregano. Stir and break apart meat until vegetables are softened, meat is cooked.
Once meat is cooked, add kidney beans and minced garlic. Cook about 1 minute, until garlic becomes fragrant. Stir frequently.
Add beef broth (beef bouillon paste + water) and stir. Simmer for 15-ish minutes, or until water boils down to desired thickness. There should be just a bit of broth, so it looks like chili.
Top with sour cream/Greek yogurt, shredded cheddar cheese, and green onion or as desired. Serve with toast or cornbread.
Store in an airtight container for up to a week, or longer in the freezer. Reheat, covered in microwave.
- Easily double or triple this chili without tomatoes to serve a crowd or have leftovers. It freezes well.
- You can make this in a crockpot or slow cooker too. Just cook the beef, spices onions, and peppers, then add it + the remaining ingredients to a crockpot and cook on low for a couple hours.
- Substitute the ground beef for ground turkey, ground chicken, and/or more kidney or white beans. Or the other way around. You can also use TVP instead.
- Substitute the green bell pepper for jarred roasted bell peppers. You can add about ⅓ cup of diced roasted peppers. They're sweeter and add a nice flavor, if you have them.
- Want to make it vegetarian/vegan: Substitute the ground beef for beans or TVP and substitute the beef broth for vegetable broth
- Feel free to add ½ can tomatoes to this recipe, if you want.
- Use whatever kind of onion and bell pepper you have. The flavor/sweetness of this chili without tomatoes will change, but it will still be good. Use what you have first!
- Other great add-ins: shredded cheese, red pepper flakes, chopped celery, etc.
You can just omit tomatoes in chili. Make sure to include ingredients that add sweetness to your chili, like sauteed onions. If you'd like to thicken the chili without tomato paste, you can add a little cornstarch slurry to it.
What can I make with leftover ingredients?
- Ground Beef: Thai Inspired Beef and Spinach Bowl, Stuffed Acorn Squash, or use in Beef and Broccoli.
- Onions: Spicy Pickled Onions, Refried Bean Tacos, and One Pot Chicken Bacon Mushroom Pasta
- Green Bell Pepper: Potato Salad without Eggs, Vegetarian Hash, Prosciutto and Fig Pizza.
- Red Kidney Beans: Turkey Pumpkin Chili
Did you make this chili without tomatoes? Leave me a comment & rating to share how it turned out!
Chili without Tomatoes
- Measuring cups, spoons
- Large Skillet with lid
- rubber spoon
- cutting board
- ¼ pound ground beef
- ⅓ cup diced green bell pepper about ¼ whole pepper
- ¼ cup diced onion
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon cumin
- ½ can red kidney beans drained, about ½ cup
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 cup beef broth 1 cup water + 1 teaspoon beef bouillon paste
- optional toppings: sour cream/plain Greek yogurt, shredded cheddar cheese, green onion.
- Heat a large skillet or saucepan over medium heat. Once hot, add ¼ pound ground beef, ¼ diced green bell pepper, ¼ cup diced onion, 1 teaspoon chili powder, ¼ teaspoon dried oregano, ¼ teaspoon cumin.
- Stir and break apart meat until vegetables are softened and meat is cooked through. About 5-7 minutes.
- Once meat is cooked through, add ½ can red kidney beans (drained) and 1 teaspoon minced garlic. Stir and cook until garlic is fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add 1 cup beef broth, or 1 cup water + 1 teaspoon beef bouillon paste. Stir together. Simmer for about 15 minutes, or until most of the water has evaporated, to preference.
- Enjoy immediately. Top with sour cream/plain Greek yogurt, shredded cheddar cheese, and green onion, if desired.
- Serve with cornbread or toast.
- Double or triple recipe for a crowd or leftovers. Store in an airtight container for about 5 days. Or in the freezer for months.
- Substitute the green bell pepper for about ⅓ cup diced jarred roasted red peppers. This is delicious.
- Ground beef can be substituted with ground turkey, ground chicken, TVP, or more beans. Add about 1 teaspoon oil if not using ground beef.
- Use any percentage of fat ground beef. You can add 1 teaspoon oil if it's too lean, or drain extra fat. Whatever you prefer.
- Double the beans or add equal amount of white beans to the kidney beans and omit ground beef to make it vegetarian. Also use vegetarian broth instead of beef.
- Add about ½ can of diced tomatoes, if you'd like.
Recipes are great, but you’ll need a simple 3 step process to create a meal plan that make cooking easy & helps you stop wasting food. Check out this expertly developed meal planning guide to get started.