Switch up your fall soup game with this easy 30 minute delicata squash soup. It's vegetarian, hearty, and bursting with flavor. Serve it with a grilled cheese for a delicious cool weather dinner for one.
[This recipe was originally posted in December 2020. It has been updated with cooking instructions, expert tips, FAQ, related recipes and ways to repurpose/use up ingredients]
How will this delicata squash soup make your life easier?
Delicata squash is one of my favorite squashes because you don't have to peel it to eat it. The skin gets tender and soft when cooked, and it's even good in soup.
You get to save prep time by not peeling it before making this easy delicata squash soup.
This vegetarian soup is flavorful, comforting, and endlessly adaptable. It's essentially a vegetable soup with white beans for protein, delicata squash for texture and flavor, herbs and more vegetables.
Swap the vegetables if you have others, add other toppings, whatever you want. You can even blend the soup for a creamy soup. Enjoy it with a grilled cheese or crusty bread for a more satisfying delicata squash soup dinner.
What makes this soup so good?
Scroll down to the delicata squash soup recipe card for the amounts of each ingredient, but here's a quick visual + description of what's in this recipe.
- Delicata squash: it's got a nutty, sweet flavor. Gets really soft when cooked, and the peel is edible, after it's been cooked.
- White beans: use any kind of white beans. Navy, great northern, etc would work.
- Olive Oil/Butter: Butter adds a nice, sweet, earthy flavor to this delicata squash soup. But use olive oil to keep it vegan or if you prefer it.
- Italian seasoning
- Vegetable or chicken bouillon: Use whatever you have, or vegetable to keep it vegan. I tested this recipe with chicken bouillon paste and water. You might need to adjust salt, other seasonings if using vegetable bouillon.
- Water: I use bouillon paste + water as a substitute for broth. It tastes great, uses up less room in the fridge, and you're not left with a cup of broth leftover or whatever. It's a great substitution when cooking for one.
- Lemon juice or apple cider vinegar: a dash of something bright adds a nice flavor to this hearty, comforting soup.
How do I make this squash soup?
Scroll down to the recipe card for more detailed instructions. Here's a quick overview + photos to see how to make this recipe in general.
1.Cut delicata squash into two pieces.
2. Scoop out seeds.
3. Chop into bite sized pieces.
4. Heat pan over medium-low heat. Add butter/olive oil to pan, add chopped squash, carrot, onion, celery, salt, Italian seasoning. Cook until onions are translucent.
6. Add garlic, white beans, bouillon, and water to pan. Cover with a lid and simmer for about 15 minutes. Add chopped kale and lemon juice, stir together. Cook until kale is bright green.
7. Top your delicata squash soup with parmesan cheese and serve with a grilled cheese.
Make a Smooth Squash Soup
You can blend this delicata squash soup to make it smooth. Peel delicata squash before chopping it to make it more smooth.
You can also add the kale to the soup after blending to get a really smooth soup, or blend it up too. The kale stalks might not blend up too well.
Store leftover delicata squash soup in an airtight container. It should last about a week. Heat up in microwave then add cheese and other toppings.
- Delicata Squash skin can be eaten when cooked. I don't mind it at all, so I saved the step and kept it on. If you don't like it, peel it off before slicing.
- If you don't have delicata squash, you can substitute butternut squash or another squash. Cooking times will vary.
- To save on dishes, I use a big saucepan to sautee the vegetables then make the delicata squash soup in it. It's not traditional, but it works.
- Swap the bouillon paste & water for 1 cup of vegetable or chicken broth + ½ cup water if you don't have bouillon paste. (but also buy bouillon paste, it's a game changer for solo cooks)
- Other great add-ins: coconut milk, green onions, fresh herbs, shrimp, tofu pieces, chicken, Italian sausage, breadcrumbs, etc.
Yes, it's thin and softens up when cooked. It's great in this delicata squash soup, roasted, or cooked other ways. Definitely no need to peel this hard to peel squash.
Delicata squash has a pretty mild sweet flavor. It's like a milder sweet potato.
The Vegetarian Flavor Bible describes it: sweet, with notes of butter, corn, and/or sweet potatoes. And that it has a creamy, firm texture. Great to make delicata squash soup.
Just like potatoes and onions, store in a cool, dry place. But I recommend refrigerating it after it's been cut into. Or make a big batch of delicata squash soup and refrigerate that for a few days, or freeze for months.
Other good soup recipes
- Curry Pumpkin Soup
- Silky Sweet Potato Tofu Soup
- Rice and Bean Soup
- Chicken Soup
- Pumpkin Turkey Chili
What to do with leftover ingredients
- Delicata squash: Simply roast it, like with these Roasted Winter Vegetables.
- Onion: You can use onion in lots of other recipes like this Instant Pot Chicken Fried Rice, Flat Iron Steak Fajitas, or these Fish Tacos with White Sauce.
- Carrot, beans, celery: Same as the onion, carrots can be added to lots of dishes like this White Bean and Farro Bowl or Instant Pot Chicken, Mushroom, and Wild Rice Soup
Did you make this delicata squash soup? Leave me a comment & rating to share how it turned out!
Delicata Squash Soup
- cutting board
- Measuring cups, spoons
- Large saucepan
- 2 inches delicata squash
- ¼ cup white beans
- 1 large leaf kale
- ½ large carrot
- ½ stalk celery
- ¼ onion
- 1 teaspoon olive oil/butter
- ½ teaspoon garlic
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon vegetable or chicken bouillon
- 1.5 cups water
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice or apple cider vinegar or more to taste
- parmesan cheese
- Using a cutting board and knife, chop 2 inch of delicata squash by cutting it down the center (to create two half moons), then scoop out the seeds. Slice each piece of squash into ¼ inch pieces, then chop.
- Place saucepan over medium-low heat. While pan is heating up, remove leaves from kale stalk, wash, chop, and set aside.
- Finely dice remaining vegetables: ½ carrot, ½ stalk celery, and ¼ onion. Once vegetables are chopped, add 1 teaspoon butter to pan, then add all vegetables (including squash) except kale.
- Add ¼ teaspoon salt and ½ Tablespoon Italian seasoning to vegetables. Stir together and cook until softened.
- Once vegetables are softened, add ½ teaspoon garlic, ¼ cup white beans, 1 teaspoon bouillon, and 1.5 cups water to pan. Simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- Add chopped kale, 1 teaspoon lemon juice or apple cider vinegar to soup. Stir and cook until kale is bright green.
- Top with grated parmesan cheese. Serve with grilled cheese or a slice of bread.
- You can peel your delicata squash or leave the peel on it. Either way. It's edible.
- Use chicken or vegetable broth OR bouillon paste and water. Bouillon paste is a game changer for solo cooks.
- Other great add-ins: green onions, fresh herbs, shrimp, tofu pieces, chicken, Italian sausage, breadcrumbs, etc.