Now that it's soup season, whip up this easy sweet potato soup in just over 30 minutes. It'll warm you up and leave you feeling satisfied with it's added creamy tofu. Also try this Instant Pot Chicken, Mushroom, and Wild Rice Soup.
PIN HERE to add to your recipe box.
[This recipe was originally posted in October 2018. It has been updated with new cooking instructions, expert tips, FAQ, and ways to repurpose/use up ingredients]
I made this recipe after attending a sponsored event with the North Dakota Soybean Council, my expenses were covered on this trip. I was not compensated for my time and was not asked to create this recipe.
Table of contents
How will this soup make your life easier?
Soup is a great meal in the fall and winter when it's cold outside. Instead of feeling like you have to make a protein on the side, add the protein directly into your easy sweet potato soup.
What makes this simple sweet potato soup so good?
How do I make this instant pot sweet potato soup?
Start making your easy sweet potato soup by preparing vegetables: scrub sweet potato, and slice it in quarters. Slice ends off the onion, and then remove outer layers from onion.
Pour water into Instant Pot bowl. Place trivet in bowl, place sweet potato, onion, and one thyme sprig on trivet. Close lid, set vent to SEALING. Set to MANUAL, select high pressure and set timer to 15 minutes.
Cook, then let pressure release naturally for 10 minutes (once cooking is done, let time count up to 10 minutes, then remove lid). Remove thyme sprigs.
Transfer sweet potato and onion from Instant Pot to high powered blender, or use an immersion blender in your Instant Pot bowl.
Also add silken tofu, chicken/vegetable stock, olive oil, and salt to high powered blender (no need to chop or break anything up!).
Select soup setting, blend. Pour your easy sweet potato soup into bowl and serve immediately with crusty bread or your favorite rice.
- Cook the whole sweet potato and onion if you'd like to use them in other recipes (highly recommend!)
- The onion will become really soft if cooked with the sweet potato. This is fine for soup, like this easy sweet potato soup or if you were to use the rest in a sauce-like tomato sauce.
- Thin your easy sweet potato soup with chicken/vegetable stock, heavy cream/other cream, or milk.
You can add spices, aromatic vegetables, or a good stock to add flavor to a soup. In this easy sweet potato soup recipe, we use all three: thyme, salt, onion, and vegetable (or chicken) stock.
You can add condensed milk, cream, or silken tofu to make soup thick and creamy. The tofu is a great option because it adds extra protein to soup.
What can I make with the leftover ingredients?
- Sweet Potato: Swap it out for the butternut squash in this Harvest Bowl
- Tofu: Protein Packed Mac & Cheese
- Onion: chop it up and add to pumpkin turkey chili,
Did you make this easy sweet potato soup? Leave me a comment & rating to share how it turned out!
Easy Sweet Potato Soup with Tofu
- cutting board
- Measuring spoon
- Measuring Cups
- Large serving spoon
- Instant Pot
- High powered blender
- 1 cup water
- ¼ large sweet potato
- ¼ onion
- 1 sprig thyme
- ¼ package silken tofu
- ¼ cup vegetable (or chicken) stock
- 1 teaspoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- additional salt & pepper to taste
- Scrub sweet potato, and then slice ¼ off. Slice off ends and remove outer layers from onion. Cook sweet potato and onion in Instant Pot: pour 1 cup of water into Instant Pot, then place trivet in bowl. Place ¼ (or more) of the sweet potato and ¼ of the onion (or more) on top of the trivet.
- Close lid, set vent to SEALING. Set MANUAL, select high pressure and set timer to 15 minutes. Cook. Turn knob to release steam immediately. Remove thyme sprigs.
- Add sweet potato, onion, ¼ package silken tofu, ¼ cup stock, 1 teaspoon olive oil, and ¼ teaspoon salt to high powered blender (no need to chop or break anything up!). Select soup setting, blend. Transfer to serving bowl, serve immediately with crusty bread or your favorite rice.
- Cook whole sweet potato and whole onion in the Instant Pot. You can use the remaining vegetables in other dishes like this harvest bowl and soups
- The onion will become really soft if cooked with the sweet potato. This is fine for soup, or if you were to use the rest in a sauce-like tomato sauce.
- Thin with more stock or milk
Recipes are great, but you’ll need a simple 3 step process to create a meal plan that make cooking easy & helps you stop wasting food. Check out this expertly developed meal planning guide to get started.