This creamy, comforting mushroom chicken soup with wild rice is the perfect winter recipe to warm up with. It just takes about 15 minutes hands-on time and is ready to eat in about 45. Use frozen chicken to make it even easier! You can also make this Chicken and Vegetable Fried Rice and Chicken and Turmeric Rice in your Instant Pot.
How will this mushroom chicken soup make your life easier?
Instead of having to plan hours ahead and simmering a cozy soup over the stove for a couple hours, take 15 minutes to sautee the vegetables and add the remaining ingredients to make this one bowl Instant Pot soup. You add wild rice, frozen chicken tenders, and chicken broth to sauteed vegetables and cook for 30 minutes (which usually takes about 45 minutes total). This soup is perfect to start soon after you're done working so you can work on other tasks and be ready to eat when it's done in about an hours worth of time.
What's in this soup?
How do I make mushroom chicken soup with wild rice?
Start by turning on the Instant Pot to SAUTEE function. While heating up, chop ¼ onion, ½ whole carrot, ½ whole celery stalk, 1 cup mushrooms, and 2 sprigs fresh rosemary (or 2 tsp dried). Chop vegetables into similar sized pieces. Add vegetables, 1 Tbsp oil, ¼ tsp salt to hot Instant Pot bowl. Stir frequently until onions are translucent and mushrooms are browned and have shrunk. This should take about 5-8 minutes.
UPDATE: chop rosemary leaves before adding them to vegetables
Once vegetables are cooked, add 1 c water, 1 tsp chicken bouillon paste, ⅓ c wild rice, and frozen chicken tender to bowl. Stir together and ensure no vegetable pieces are stuck to the bottom of the bowl. Cover with lid, set Instant Pot knob to SEALING and select MULTIGRAIN and 25 minutes. Cook until it beeps.
When it's done cooking, flip knob to VENTING for quick release. Remove lid once the steam has been released. While steam is releasing, add ¼ c milk and 1 Tbsp flour to a small bowl. Mix together. Add to soup. Add salt and pepper to taste. Dish soup into a serving bowl and top with chopped parsley as a garnish, if desired. Enjoy
- Note that it takes about 10-15 minutes for your Instant Pot to get up to pressure before it cooks for 25 minutes, so add 10-15 minutes to cook time for your reference.
- Double or triple this recipe for leftovers.
- Substitute the fresh rosemary for 2 teaspoons dried rosemary
- Add extra milk if you want to thin out the soup.
Yes, I actually use frozen, raw chicken in this recipe. Cooking the chicken in soup is a great way to keep the chicken tender and prevent it from drying out. It's called poaching it in the soup liquid. Just check the temperature in the thickest part of your chicken. It should be 165 degrees before eating. If you're cooking chicken with wild rice in an Instant Pot, I recommend starting with frozen chicken because it takes longer to cook, like the wild rice in this recipe.
The 3 ingredients that can make your chicken soup taste way better are: mushrooms or a dash of soy sauce to add umami flavor, fresh (or dried) herbs, and enough chicken broth to flavor the soup.
This mushroom soup has wild rice and chicken in it to make it a full meal, but I recommend serving your favorite crusty bread and/or a protein with it to make a satisfying and delicious meal.
What can I make with leftover ingredients?
- Wild Rice: Harvest Bowl with Butternut Squash
- Chicken: Any of these chicken recipes
- Mushrooms: Mushroom Sauce for Ravioli, Instant Pot Lentil Stroganoff, Freezer Friendly Breakfast Tacos
- Onion: Chicken Bacon Brussels Sprouts Sheet Pan Dinner, Delicata Squash Soup
- Celery: Chicken Salad Pita, No-Egg Potato Salad
- Rosemary: Rustic Potato Au Gratin, Apple Cider Mocktail
Did you make this mushroom chicken soup with wild rice? Leave me a comment & rating to share how it turned out!
Mushroom Chicken Soup with Wild Rice
- Measuring Cups
- Measuring Spoons
- Rubber Spatula/Large Spoon
- Instant Pot/Pressure Cooker
- ¼ whole yellow onion
- ½ whole large carrot
- ½ whole celery stalk
- 1 cup mushrooms washed and dried
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary or 2 teaspoons dry
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon paste
- 1 frozen chicken tender about 2-3 oz
- ⅓ cup wild rice uncooked
- 1 tablespoon all purpose flour
- ¼ cup milk recommend: 2% or whole
- (optional) parsley, for garnish
- Turn Instant Pot on to SAUTEE function. Chop ¼ onion, ½ carrot, ½ celery stalk, 1 c mushrooms, and rosemary leaves from 2 sprigs of rosemary. Pour 1 Tbsp olive oil into Instant Pop bowl, followed by chopped vegetables, ¼ tsp salt. Cook until onions are translucent and mushrooms shrink, about 5-8 minutes.
- Once vegetables are soft, add 1 c water, 1 tsp chicken bouillon paste, ⅓ c wild rice, and frozen chicken tender to vegetables. Stir and cover with lid. Set vent to SEALING and set to cook on MULTIGRAIN for 25 minutes.
- When done cooking, set vent to VENTING for quick release and remove lid once steam is released. Stir soup. In a small bowl, add ¼ c milk and 1 Tbsp flour. Stir with spoon or fork. Add to soup to thicken it.
- Dish soup into bowl and top with parsley as a garnish if desired. Add salt and pepper to taste. Enjoy
- Remember that it takes about 10 minutes to get up to pressure, so add this to cooking time for your reference.
- This recipe is a great one to double or triple for leftovers.
- Substitute 2 sprigs fresh rosemary for 2 teaspoons dried rosemary
- Add extra milk if you want your soup thinner.
Recipes are great, but you’ll need a simple 3 step process to create a meal plan that make cooking easy & helps you stop wasting food. Check out this expertly developed meal planning guide to get started.