M&M popcorn is a great snack or treat for any day, it's made in 10 minutes with salty popcorn, a delicious chocolate drizzle, and crunchy m&m's. Also try Chocolate Covered Popcorn and Air Fryer Popcorn.
Table of contents
How will this candy popcorn mix make your life easier?
I think there are 2 categories of snacks, one is a snack you can grab and get on with life. The other takes about 5-10 minutes, which can be an excuse to take a quick break while making something to satisfy you.
This m&m popcorn fits into the second category. It takes a few minutes, but is so satisfying, delicious, and easy. You can microwave the popcorn in a silicone or paper bag and add the chocolate after.
Sure you can buy premade popcorn with m&ms, but this recipe is easy and uses pantry ingredients. It's a great 5 minute homemade snack.
Other good snack recipes:
- Air Fryer Popcorn for One
- Peanut Butter Yogurt Dip
- Chocolate Covered Popcorn
- Banana Blueberry Oatmeal Muffins
- Protein Balls with Peanut Butter and Chocolate
- Coffee Chia Pudding
What makes this popcorn and m&ms so good?
- Popcorn Kernels: use white or yellow, whatever you have.
- Cooking Spray: It's easy to spray evenly on the popcorn so the salt sticks to it. You can melt butter too, but I prefer a more neutral flavored oil than butter on m&m popcorn.
- M&Ms: Any m&ms are great on this m&m popcorn. You can use regular size or mini as well. Or a mix!
- Chocolate Chips: Use your favorite chocolate chips, I use dark semi-sweet chocolate chips. The ones sold in the bulk section at WINCO.
- Oil: I have a bunch of coconut oil from a client recipe, so I use it for this chocolate drizzle, but use what ever neutral oil you have. It'll help thin the chocolate drizzle so it covers the popcorn more evenly.
How to make m&m popcorn?
Start making m&m popcorn by preparing the popcorn. I like to cook mine in a Stasher bag in the microwave. Add popcorn to bag, seal bag, but leave about 1 inch open to release steam.
To use a brown paper bag, roll the bag up and place rolled side down. You can even make your popcorn in the Air Fryer.
Microwave for 2-3 minutes, or until popcorn stops popping for about 15 seconds. Remove popcorn and set aside.
Add chocolate chips and oil to a small microwave safe bowl. Microwave for 30 seconds at a time until chocolate is melted.
While chocolate is in the microwave, spray popcorn with cooking spray, and sprinkle salt over it. Shake well, until evenly coated. You can spray it and shake in the bag you cooked it in, or spray on a plate or bowl. Whatever is easiest for you.
After chocolate is melted, pour about ⅓-1/2 of popcorn into serving bowl. Drizzle about ⅓-1/2 of chocolate over popcorn. Sprinkle m&ms over. Repeat until all popcorn is in serving bowl. This will help coat more of the popcorn than just adding on top.
You can enjoy your m&m popcorn immediately, but the chocolate will be messy. Or you can let it sit out for 10-15 minutes so the chocolate hardens. Either works.
Store leftover m&m popcorn in an air tight bag or container on the counter.
- This recipe is very easy to make in larger batches. Instead of assembling in a bowl, you can pour the popcorn onto a baking sheet and then drizzle chocolate and sprinkle m&ms over it. This will give you good popcorn coverage!
- I personally like to spray the popcorn with cooking spray so the salt sticks to it, it's easy, and covers popcorn well. You can also use melted butter or oil.
- Substitute chocolate chips in this m&m popcorn for your favorite chocolate chips-milk, white, butterscotch, etc.
- Other great add-ins: chopped nuts, additional white chocolate drizzle, sprinkles, etc.
Pop popcorn, melt chocolate, add salt, cooking spray, and m&ms. Mix them. The recipe below will give you more specific instructions to make it easily.
Absolutely. Any chopped chocolate candy will be great in this chocolate m&m popcorn. Nuts are also a great add-in.
What can I make with leftover ingredients?
- Popcorn: Air Fryer Popcorn, Chocolate Drizzled Popcorn
- Chocolate Chips: Single Serving Chocolate Chip Cookie, Chocolate Covered Strawberries, Small Batch Dark Chocolate Cookies
Did you make this m&m popcorn? Leave me a comment & rating to share how it turned out!
- Stasher bag (or small paper bag) quart or stand-up Stasher
- serving bowl
- small mixing bowl microwave safe
- 2 Tablespoons popcorn kernels
- cooking spray
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 Tablespoons chocolate chips
- ¼ teaspoon neutral oil canola, grapeseed, coconut
- 2 Tablespoons m&ms regular or mini
- kosher or coarse salt optional
- Add 2 Tablespoons of popcorn kernels to a Stasher bag, or similar silicone bag. Seal bag, leaving about 1 inch open to release steam. You can use a brown paper bag too. Roll it up, and place rolled portion on the bottom.
- Microwave for 2-3 minutes, or until popcorn stops popping for about 15 seconds.
- Remove from microwave.
- Add 2 Tablespoons chocolate chips and ¼ teaspoon oil to a small microwave safe bowl. Microwave in 30 second intervals until chocolate is melted. Stir.
- While chocolate is in microwave, spray popcorn with cooking spray, sprinkle about ½ teaspoon kosher salt over popcorn. Seal and shake in bag. Taste and repeat if needed.
- Pour about ⅓-1/2 of popcorn into serving bowl. Drizzle ⅓-1/2 chocolate over popcorn, then sprinkle about ⅓-1/2 of m&ms over popcorn. Repeat until all popcorn is in serving bowl.
- Sprinkle a bit more salt over popcorn.
- Enjoy immediately, or let sit for 10-15 minutes so chocolate can harden. It'll be less messy to eat if you wait. But either works.
- This recipe is easy to make a large batch of. Just multiply the ingredients by how many cups you want to make (this recipe makes about 2 cups). Spread popcorn out onto a baking dish then drizzle chocolate and add m&ms.
- Use your favorite oil to coat the popcorn.
- You can use all dark chocolate, milk, or white chocolate, or a mix. Whatever you like.
- Swap the m&ms for your favorite chocolate candy.
- Optional Add-ins: drizzle of white chocolate, sprinkles, chopped nuts, etc.
Want to get more single serving recipes like this m&m popcorn delivered to your inbox? Click here to download my Single Serving Cookbook.
Recipes are great, but you’ll need a simple 3 step process to create a meal plan that make cooking easy & helps you stop wasting food. Check out this expertly developed meal planning guide to get started.
We make this for our Friday night movie nights. It never gets old!
great to hear! it's so tasty
This is such a fun recipe for when you're hankering something sweet and savory on movie night!
totally! it's perfect for movies
Ahh!! It's my new favorite snack when we watch our shows in the evening! Thank you so much!
great to hear! enjoy
What a quick, easy and fantastic snack. Perfect when you want a little sweet and salty together.
This looks so fun! I bet it would be great for movie night with my nephews! Definitely have to try!