In just 15 minutes, you can have fresh air fryer popcorn for an easy snack for one. You'll need an air fryer, maybe foil, popcorn, and toppings and you've got a delicious easy snack. No more microwave popcorn stinking up your microwave.
Table of contents
How will this popcorn make your life easier?
This easy air fryer popcorn with no oil is a great snack if you have a few minutes to wait. It does take about 15 minutes, but you really do just have to set it and forget it. And stay nearby to smell for any burning kernels.
This popcorn recipe is nice because all you need is an Air Fryer, foil (if the kernels fall below the tray), and popcorn. Add your favorite toppings afterward and you've got a light snack.
I like making popcorn in an air fryer because I don't need additional equipment, like a full air popper for popcorn. In addition to making it in an air fryer, I like to make microwave popcorn in a large Stasher bag. It's easy to clean and zero waste.
Other great snack recipes
- Chocolate Covered Popcorn
- Peanut Butter Greek Yogurt Dip
- Protein Balls with Peanut Butter and Chocolate Chips
- Blueberry Chocolate Muffins
- Pickled Dill Carrots
- Banana Blueberry Muffins
What makes popcorn in airfryer so good?
How do I make popcorn in an air fryer?
Before you start making air fryer popcorn, test whether you need to add foil to contain the popcorn kernels: place 2-3 kernels on the basket tray, gently shake it. If they fall through the grates, cover the tray with foil. Don't cover basket sides.
Add kernels and cook for 6-9 minutes, check 1-2 times if needed, and stay close to remove basket if it starts to smell like something is burning. Near the end of the cooking time, if you don't hear any popping, check your popcorn.
Your air fryer popcorn will be less likely to burn if you remove already popped kernels. I like to use a large serving spoon or slotted spoon to remove the popcorn.
Quickly add toppings to your popcorn, such as salt and melted butter (use melted, I've tried thin slices that don't melt well). You can also sprinkle seasoned salt, nutritional yeast, cheese powder, ranch dressing mix, etc to your hot popcorn.
How to cook popcorn if you don't have an air fryer
To be completely honest, I like making popcorn in the microwave in a large or standing Stasher bag. It's all contained, much faster, and you can add toppings directly to the bag and shake it. Both work, it just depends on what equipment you have and time.
Here's the recipe to use a Stasher bag. You can just use 2 tablespoons like in this air fryer popcorn recipe, and only add oil/toppings after it's been popped. Stasher bags are AWESOME. You can also use an air popper, but it's a tool that only does one thing.
- You can double or triple the recipe. I think 3 servings of this air fryer popcorn recipe would fit in my small air fryer, adjust to fit the size of yours.
- I've tested this recipe by spraying the kernels with cooking spray and not spraying them, they taste the same. No need to waste your cooking spray. Just add all seasonings after cooking it.
- Other great add-ins: Cooking spray, melted butter, salt, seasoning salt, nutritional yeast, cheesy powder, ranch powder, garlic salt, chocolate, m&ms, etc.
I don't like to focus on whether or not foods are healthy, it can easily turn to being overly focused on certain foods. Although, this snack is a good source of fiber, and can be enjoyed in lots of different ways.
Yes, you can pop popcorn in an air fryer. Cover the bottom tray with foil if the grates are too big for popcorn kernels. My favorite ways to make popcorn are in a Stasher bag or in an air fryer.
Usually, you don't add seasonings to popcorn before popping it in an air fryer, the seasonings may damage your air fryer as the popcorn pops. I wouldn't recommend it. Just use regular popcorn kernels.
Did you make Air Fryer popcorn? Leave me a comment & rating to share how it turned out!
Air Fryer Popcorn for One
- Air Fryer
- Foil optional
- Large Spoon
- 2 Tablespoons popcorn kernels ⅛ cup
- preferred toppings see notes for suggestions
- Add a couple kernels to your basket, shake it. If kernels fall through the bottom, line bottom tray only with foil. If they don't fall through, no need to line your basket tray.
- Add 2 Tablespoons (or ⅛ cup) popcorn kernels to air fryer basket. Slide into machine. Cook for 7-9 minutes at 400 degrees.
- If you are available, I recommend taking out the basket and spooning out the already popped popcorn after about 4-5 minutes. You can start to season it here.
- Continue to cook kernels until they stop popping, about 7-9 minutes total.
- Pour popcorn into medium sized mixing bowl, add toppings and mix well to combine. This recipe makes about 1 ½ cup popcorn.
- Make sure to line basket bottom with foil if grates are too large for kernels, they won't pop well if they're under the tray.
- You can preheat the air fryer, but I didn't notice a difference between it and not preheating it. You're just going to cook it a minute or a couple more than if you were to preheat it.
- No need to add cooking spray or oil before cooking, I tested it both way and you don't taste a difference. Add all toppings/seasonings after.
- Remove popped popcorn from basket every few minutes, to prevent it from burning.
- Topping options: Cooking spray, melted butter, salt, seasoning salt, nutritional yeast, cheesy powder, ranch powder, garlic salt, chocolate, m&ms, etc.
Want to get more single serving recipes like air fryer popcorn delivered to your inbox? Click here to download my Single Serving Cookbook.
Recipes are great, but you’ll need a simple 3 step process to create a meal plan that make cooking easy & helps you stop wasting food. Check out this expertly developed meal planning guide to get started.
What a fantastic, quick and easy snack.
I love to have popcorn every night when I watch tv. However, I don't want a big buttery mess. I love how this popcorn can be healthy and delicious. I would have never thought to use an air fryer to make it.
yes it so easy! you can add whatever you want to it
I had no idea that making popcorn in the air fryer was so easy! The perfect snack for one.
I never would have thought to make popcorn in an air fryer! What a great idea. Love the recipe!
yes! it's so easy and tasty
yes! it's so easy
Another great use of my air fryer. Such an easy way to make popcorn. Thanks for sharing.
right?! I'm always looking for more ways to use it too