This 6 ingredient, 5 minute strawberry banana milkshake is a satisfying, quick dessert for one. It's got 2 secret ingredients for a summery bright strawberry flavor and is made with ingredients you can find in your fridge and freezer.
[This recipe was originally posted in May 2022. It has been updated with cooking instructions, expert tips, FAQ, related recipes and ways to repurpose/use up ingredients]
Table of contents
A strawberry banana milkshake is a great summer treat to cool down. It makes a satisfying amount for one person, is made with mostly (or all?!) pantry ingredients, and has 2 secret ingredients to make it peppy and flavorful.
I like to add a bit of lemon juice and salt (not so secret ingredients anymore) to really pull out the strawberry flavor because most of the frozen strawberries I seem to find just aren't that flavorful?
Do you experience this too? What am I doing wrong?!
Scroll down to the strawberry banana milkshake recipe card for the amounts of each ingredient, but here's a quick visual + description of what's in this recipe.
- Vanilla Ice Cream: Simple vanilla ice cream really lets the strawberries and banana shine in this easy strawberry banana milkshake. You could use chocolate or peanut butter ice cream too, if desired.
- Frozen Strawberries: Frozen strawberries will help you get a nice thick and creamy milkshake, I recommend freezing strawberries for it, or using frozen berries.
- Frozen Banana: Same as with the strawberries, a frozen banana will help your banana strawberry milkshake get really creamy. Plus it's a good way to reduce food waste by freezing bananas as they're about to go bad.
- Lemon Juice: Ok, maybe unconventional, but just a bit of tart lemon juice brings out the strawberry flavor and pairs nicely with the sweet and creamy banana and ice cream. Try it, you'll like it.
- Pinch of Salt: Same with lemon juice, maybe unconventional, but it'll enhance the strawberry and banana flavors. Many frozen berries I get aren't that flavorful, this will help.
- Milk: Milk helps add creaminess and keeps with the ice cream flavor to blend up your shake. Add more milk for a thinner strawberry banana milkshake, add less for a thicker shake.
Scroll down to the strawberry banana milkshake recipe card for more detailed instructions. Here's a quick overview + photos to see how to make this recipe in general.
1.Add vanilla ice cream, banana, strawberries, milk, lemon juice, and salt to a high powered blender. Add additional ingredients if you'd like.
2. Blend until smooth. You may need to add more milk.
3. Pour into glass, top with toppings, if desired and enjoy your strawberry banana milkshake immediately.
Milkshakes don't store well, they usually get very hard after freezing, or turn to thick milk in the fridge. If you really want to store it for later, just freeze and let it sit out for 10-30 minutes, depending on kitchen temperature to soften slightly.
- You can substitute the frozen fruit for fresh fruit in your strawberry banana milkshake, but frozen fruit makes it extra cold and creamy.
- Other great add-ins: chocolate chips/chocolate bar, peanut butter or PB powder, chocolate sauce.
- Topping ideas: whipped cream, strawberry slices, chocolate sauce, crushed chocolate cookies, crushed nuts.
There are a couple ways to make this shake without ice cream. One option is to substitute the ice cream for about 2 additional frozen bananas.
Blended bananas are really smooth and will give you a nice shake consistency.
Another option, is to substitute the ice cream for Greek yogurt. This will give you a smoothie instead of milkshake, but it'll be good too. Try this Strawberry Banana Peanut Butter Smoothie recipe.
A milkshake is a fun treat for people, but a milkshake like this one with protein and fruit could substitute for a satisfying meal.
Instead of focusing on whether or not a food is healthy, as a dietitian, I recommend eating a variety of foods for nutrition.
Other good milkshake recipes
What to do with leftover ingredients
When you're cooking for one, you often have leftover produce, cans of whatever ingredient, etc. Here are a couple ideas on how to use up the leftover ingredients. It'll help you save money by wasting fewer ingredients.
- Ice Cream: Serve it on top of this Single Serving Chocolate Cookie or Brownie. Or top it with Fresh Strawberry Sauce.
- Strawberries: Strawberry Banana Peanut Butter Smoothie, Homemade Firecracker Popsicles, or in Overnight Oats with Yogurt.
- Banana: Spinach Apple Banana Smoothie, Banana Blueberry Oatmeal Muffins, Single Serving Banana Bread, or Baked Oatmeal Cups.
- Lemon: Lemon Herb Couscous, Air Fryer Broccolini, or Starbucks Copycat Passion Tea Lemonade.
Did you make this strawberry banana milkshake? Leave me a comment & rating to share how it turned out!
Strawberry Banana Milkshake
- High powered blender
- Measuring cups, spoons
- ½ cup vanilla ice cream
- ½ cup frozen strawberries heaping
- ¼ whole frozen banana
- ¾ cup milk or more for a thinner milkshake
- ½ teaspoon lemon juice to preference
- pinch salt
- Add ½ cup vanilla ice cream, ½ cup frozen strawberries, ¼ frozen banana, milk, ½ teaspoon lemon juice, and a pinch of salt to high speed blender.
- Blend on milkshake or high power until smooth. Add more milk if needed.
- Pour into glass, enjoy immediately.
- You can substitute frozen fruit for fresh fruit, but frozen fruit makes your milkshake extra cold and creamy.
- The lemon juice brings out the strawberry flavor, you may need to add less if you freeze freshly picked strawberries or more if your frozen strawberries don't have much flavor.
- Don't skip the salt, especially if you're using grocery store frozen berries, the salt will bring out the strawberry flavor.
Recipes are great, but you’ll need a simple 3 step process to create a meal plan that make cooking easy & helps you stop wasting food. Check out this expertly developed meal planning guide to get started.