This apple banana spinach smoothie is a great drinkable breakfast for days you're not super hungry, or as a snack. It's packed with tart flavors like green apple and pineapple as well as ginger. Try Pineapple Cucumber or Green Apple Smoothie.
[This recipe was originally posted in February 2022. It has been updated with cooking instructions, expert tips, FAQ, related recipes, and ways to repurpose/use up ingredients]
Table of contents
How will this spinach apple banana smoothie make your life easier?
We all need a good and easy smoothie recipe in our back pocket. This apple banana spinach smoothie (with pineapple and ginger too) makes for a transportable light breakfast or snack. Packed with bold flavors and veggies, it's tasty any time of day.
This smoothie recipe makes one serving, so you won't be left with another serving if you're making breakfast for one.
Tossing nutrient dense spinach into this smoothie blends the flavors together and makes it extra tasty. It's not as filling as other smoothies, like Strawberry Banana PB Smoothie or Berry Smoothie with Granola, but is a great snack or light breakfast.
This recipe can easily be doubled or tripled for a crowd.
What makes this smoothie so good?
- Granny Smith Apple: I like a tart apple in this smoothie, it balances well with the pineapple, banana, and spinach. Use what you like.
- Banana: Especially a frozen banana helps make your apple banana spinach smoothie very creamy and sweetens it slightly.
- Frozen Pineapple: It helps sweeten and add just a hint of tartness to your smoothie, using frozen pineapple will help make it creamy and cold.
- Spinach: I love adding fresh or frozen spinach to smoothies. I find it melds flavors together and can't really be tasted, unless you add a bunch. You can also freeze spinach before it goes bad, then use in smoothies.
- Grated Ginger: Just a bit of fresh/frozen grated ginger adds some zing to this apple banana spinach smoothie.
- Flax Seeds: For some added fiber, it blends well and can't be tasted. Add if you want, but it's not necessary
- Water or Apple Juice: I prefer apple juice for the added apple flavor, but use water if you don't have any or like it.
How do I make this smoothie?
1.Start by adding all ingredients (apple, banana, pineapple, spinach, ginger, flax, water/apple juice) into a blender jar. Add liquid last.
2. Pour into your glass and enjoy! See, so easy.
- Adjust the amount of ginger you add to your preferences. Just a tiny pinch of ground ginger might work too, although I haven't tested it.
- You can add a dollop of yogurt and/or milk to your apple banana spinach smoothie to make it more filling.
- I like adding apple juice or water to the smoothie for flavor, but you can also add milk, almond milk, soy milk, or your favorite milk alternative.
- You can substitute fresh spinach for frozen spinach. Just add ½ the amount of frozen spinach since it's more compact.
- Optional add-ins: Chia seeds, ground flax are all great additions to this smoothie.
Instead of trying to make the 'healthiest' smoothie, I like to focus on adding 2-3 different food groups to my smoothies. Add some fruit, dairy, veggies, and seeds are great additions. This will help keep you satisfied with a tasty smoothie.
Smoothies with lots of fresh, water-filled produce can get frothy. Adding banana to this apple banana spinach smoothie helps prevent froth, so do seeds or fats. Also, drink your smoothie in one sitting, this will also prevent it from separating.
What can I make with leftover ingredients?
- Spinach: Thai Beef with Spinach and Fried Garlic, Grapefruit and Avocado Salad, Microwave Egg Bowl, or Arugula Basil Pesto
- Banana: Bananas Foster Pancakes, Overnight Oats with Yogurt, or Berry Oatmeal Cups.
- Pineapple: Pineapple Cucumber Smoothie
- Apple: Apple Cucumber Salad, Apple Pie Overnight Oats, Holiday Kale Salad, or Apple Cinnamon Overnight Oats.
Did you make this apple banana spinach smoothie? Leave me a comment & rating to share how it turned out!
Apple Banana Spinach Smoothie
- Measuring Spoons
- Measuring Cups
- ½ whole Granny Smith apple cored, quartered
- ½ whole banana fresh or frozen
- ¾ cup frozen pineapple slices
- ⅓ cup fresh spinach leaves or frozen, see note below
- ½ teaspoon grated ginger
- 1 Tablespoon flax seeds
- 1 cup water or apple juice
- Layer in ½ whole apple quarters, ½ whole frozen banana, ¾ cup frozen pineapple, ⅓ cup spinach, ½ teaspoon grated ginger, 1 Tablespoon flax seeds, and 1 cup liquid. Blend until smooth.
- Pour into glass and enjoy immediately.
- Adjust the amount of ginger you add to your preferences.
- Add a dollop of yogurt and/or milk to your spinach apple banana smoothie to make it more filling.
- Add apple juice or water to the smoothie for a fruitier flavor, but you can also add milk, almond milk, soy milk, or your favorite milk alternative.
- Substitute fresh spinach for frozen spinach. Just add ½ the amount of frozen spinach (about 3 Tablespoons).
- Optional add-ins: Chia seeds, ground flax, and flax seeds? are all great additions to this smoothie.
Recipes are great, but you’ll need a simple 3 step process to create a meal plan that make cooking easy & helps you stop wasting food. Check out this expertly developed meal planning guide to get started.