Make these easy and delicious cinnamon overnight oats with apples in 5 minutes so you can have a delicious and super easy grab and go breakfast.
[This recipe was originally posted in November 2020. It has been updated with cooking instructions, expert tips, FAQ, related recipes, and ways to repurpose/use up ingredients]
Table of contents
How to make apple cinnamon overnight oats
If you're anything like me, you love a good breakfast, but don't love spending any time in the morning making it. These 5 minute apple cinnamon overnight oats are great because you can batch prep a couple servings ahead of time for grab & go breakfasts.
What makes this overnight oats recipe so good?
- Plain Greek yogurt
- Old fashioned oats
- Peanut butter
- Chia seeds
- Vanilla extract
- Granny smith apple
How do I make overnight oats with cinnamon and apples?
Start making your cinnamon overnight oats with apples by chopping one medium granny smith apple. I like to chop mine into ½ inch pieces, but you can grate it or chop it bigger or smaller depending on how chunky you want your apple to be.
Grab a small container with a lid, a jar or glass container both work, but are heavy. Spoon in plain (or flavored) Greek yogurt, old fashioned oats, peanut butter, chia seeds, vanilla extract, cinnamon, and your chopped granny smith apple.
Finally, pour milk over oatmeal, make sure that at least the oats are all covered. Stir or shake oatmeal mixture if you'd like (I usually don't) and refrigerate for up to 5 days. You can eat your overnight oats with apples cold or heat up in the morning.
- If you're taking your cinnamon overnight oats with yogurt and apples to work, I recommend a light weight container with a lid that seals. Glass is a great option, but gets heavy.
- Use your favorite kind of apple
- You can swap the chia seeds for flax or another similar seed. Or just skip them, either way!
- Other great add-ins: Honey, blueberries, peanut butter, other fruit.
Instead of focusing on whether an ingredient is good for you or not, think about how you want to flavor your breakfast. Cinnamon is a great flavoring for overnight oats, and it goes well with apples for these apple cinnamon overnight oats.
Soaking the oats will soften them up and make them easier to eat. They'll get that great cooked texture without having to cook them. They are a bit chewier than cooked oats, but the texture is still great.
Your oats may be hard to eat and really chewy. Soaking them in liquid hydrates them and softens them, making oats like these cinnamon overnight oats with apples tender and delicious. I wouldn't eat non-soaked or non-cooked oats.
What can I make with leftover ingredients?
- Yogurt: Yogurt Bowls, Lentil Stroganoff, Frozen Greek Yogurt
- Apple: Chicken Salad with Apples and Pecans, Spinach Banana Apple Smoothie, Apple Cucumber Salad.
- Oats: Banana Blueberry Oatmeal Muffins, Oatmeal Cherry Bars, Berry Oatmeal Cups.
Did you make these apple cinnamon overnight oats with apples? Leave me a comment & rating to share how they turned out!
Apple Cinnamon Overnight Oats
- Measuring Cups
- Measuring Spoons
- container with lid
- ¼ cup plain Greek yogurt
- ½ cup old fashioned oats
- 1 tablespoon peanut butter
- 1 teaspoon chia seeds
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 granny smith apple
- ¾ cup milk
- Chop apple.
- Spoon in ½ c plain (or flavored) Greek yogurt, ¾ c old fashioned oats, 1 T peanut butter, 1 teaspoon chia seeds, ½ teaspoon vanilla extract, ½ teaspoon cinnamon, and your chopped granny smith apple. Of course, just use your favorite apple. Pour 1 c milk over oatmeal, at least cover oats. Refrigerate for up to 5 days.
- You can use a honeycrisp, fuji, or any other apple that you like.
- Feel free to add a banana or some sugar if you like it sweeter than it is.
- Use your favorite flavor of yogurt.
- Swap the chia seeds for flax seeds, or omit.
- Glass jars look great and can be great, but can also be heavy, if you're taking this to work, consider a lighter weight container.
Recipes are great, but you’ll need a simple 3 step process to create a meal plan that make cooking easy & helps you stop wasting food. Check out this expertly developed meal planning guide to get started.