These peanut butter overnight oats with banana is a great and delicious way to get the morning started, without any cooking or prepping in the morning, you just need 5 minutes and a bowl with a lid. You can even make extra for breakfasts for the whole week.
[This recipe was originally posted in April 2018. It has been updated with new photos, cooking instructions, expert tips, FAQ, related recipes, video and ways to repurpose/use up ingredients]
PIN HERE to add to your recipe box.
How will these peanut butter overnight oats make your life easier?
These Healthy Breakfast Tacos, Homemade Zucchini Bread, yogurt with this Peanut Butter Granola, Sausage & Egg Casserole are all breakfasts you can make ahead of time and heat up quickly for a delish easy breakfast.
What makes these overnight oats so good?
- Greek yogurt
- Old fashioned oats
- Peanut butter
- Chia seeds
- Vanilla extract
How do I make these peanut butter overnight oats?
Add 1/2 c plain Greek yogurt, 3/4 c old fashioned oats, 1 T peanut butter, 1 tsp chia seeds, and 1/2 tsp vanilla extract to a bowl/jar with a lid.
Sprinkle cinnamon over ingredients, slice up 1/2 banana and add to jar, then cover with ~1/2 cup milk.
Expert Tip: use your favorite type of milk, and as much as you’d like. You don’t have to stir it either, you can stir it right before eating in the AM.
Expert Tip: Use a light weight jar if you’re taking it to work. It’ll be just as easy but not as heavy.
Remove from fridge prior to eating, you can heat it up or eat cold depending on preference.
- Use your favorite type of milk, and as much as you’d like.
- You don’t have to stir it either, you can stir it right before eating in the AM.
- Use a light weight jar if you’re taking it to work. It’ll be just as easy but not as heavy.
- Adjust the amounts of each ingredient to your preference
- Store in fridge for up to 5 days, that means you can make extra for more breakfasts.
What’s the ratio for overnight oats?
I used 1 part oats to 2 parts milk. Honestly I usually eyeball the milk and cover all ingredients. But using less milk will make your oats harder and they won’t be very easy to eat.
Are overnight oats healthy?
Overnight oats are made with oats, which are a whole grain. As a non-diet dietitian, I usually stay away from calling certain foods healthy, but knowing that oats are a whole grain, I know that they can improve your heart and digestive health. As you add other ingredients to it, you’ll get nutrients from those foods as well, so it can easily be a whole meal with different food groups, which is a healthful way to eat. Check out my article on the anti-diet, my favorite way to eat!
What kind of oats are best for overnight oats?
Honestly, I use what I have on hand. But to get the best, chewy yet soft texture, old fashioned (or rolled oats) are best. Quick oats can get too mushy and steel cut oats can be too chewy. If using steel cut oats, I’d add an extra 1/4 or so cup of milk.
What is the difference between rolled oats and quick oats?
Rolled oats (or old fashioned oats) are oats that have been rolled. Quick oats are rolled oats that have been chopped up into smaller pieces so they cook up quicker. The biggest differences between rolled & quick oats are texture and size.
What can I make with leftover ingredients?
- (oats) Peanut Butter Granola, Overnight Oats with Yogurt
- (peanut butter) PB Caramel Sauce, Chunky Monkey Chia Pudding, Peanut Butter Granola, PB Greek Yogurt Dip
- (banana) Mixed Berry Smoothie with Granola, Chunky Monkey Chia Pudding
- (Greek yogurt) Homemade Zucchini Bread, Lentil Stroganoff, Broccoli Salad with Grapes, Spiced Lamb Burgers with Tzatziki Sauce, Curry Pumpkin Soup, Easy Pumpkin Cake, & Cheesy Garlic Mashed Potatoes.
Did you make these peanut butter overnight oats? Leave me a comment & rating to share how they turned out!
Peanut Butter Overnight Oats with Banana
- Measuring Cups
- Measuring Spoons
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 3/4 cup old fashioned oats
- 1 tablespoon peanut butter
- 1 teaspoon chia seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- sprinkle cinnamon
- 1/2 medium banana sliced
- 1 cup milk or adjust depending on personal preference
- Add all ingredients, with milk last, cover and refrigerate until use (up to ~5 days). You can heat it up or eat cold depending on preference.