Make your own version of the popular Chick Fil A kale salad recipe, aka superfood salad at home. It's easy, flavorful, and there are endless simple toppings that taste so delicious! Or try this Warm Kale Salad or Kale Salad with Apples and Pomegranates.
Table of contents
How will this Superfood Salad make your life easier?
First of all, making your own Chick Fil A kale salad recipe at home is the only option since it's no longer available. So there's that. And making it at home is so much less expensive! That tiny side salad was pricy.
Second of all, I often (do you too?) think that the only way to make a good salad is to chop lots of vegetables, make a complicated dressing, and top it with lots of toppings. This salad teaches us that's not the case. Here's what you need:
- 2 vegetables to chop
- Pantry staples for the dressing + a lemon
- Dried cherries and nuts
- Or substitute with lots of delicious options.
And the best part, as somewhat said in The Good Place, "There's this great sandwich in America, but if you buy it, it means you hate gay people." So here's to making your own side from that sandwich restaurant and butchering great TV lines.
What makes this salad with maple vinaigrette so good?
How do I make this superfood salad copycat?
To start making your Chick Fil A kale salad recipe, wash kale, then remove kale leaves by holding the stalk and gently running your fingers along the stalk, slicing between the leaves and stalk.
Massage kale by rubbing leaves between your hands, until they soften up. This step is a must. Chop.
Chop broccoli into bite sized pieces. Transfer both kale and broccoli to serving bowl.
Next, make the vinaigrette dressing for your Chick Fil A kale salad recipe, add olive oil, maple syrup, apple cider vinegar, lemon zest, lemon juice, dijon mustard, and a pinch of salt and freshly ground pepper. Whisk.
Dress and toss your Chick Fil A kale salad recipe about 10-15 minutes before serving, if possible.
Add dried cherries and salted cashews right before serving.
- Meal Prep tip: You can prep the Chick Fil A kale salad recipe, just make the dressing and chop the vegetables, but don't massage kale it until you're ready to eat it; store vegetables and dressing in air tight containers.
- Tossing vegetables in dressing 10-15 minutes before eating will make the kale softer and more flavorful. I highly recommend this step, but it's not absolutely essential.
- The traditional Superfoods/Chick Fil A kale salad recipe has broccolini, dried cherries, and mixed nuts on top.
- Look for dried cherries in your grocery store's bulk section, you can get a small amount and it's probably less expensive than a bag of them.
- Substitute dried cherries for dried cranberries.
- Substitute salted cashews for your favorite nuts.
- Substitute broccoli for the traditional broccolini, but I think the broccoli is really good, plus it's more widely available and less expensive.
- Other great add-ins: grated parmesan cheese, sunflower seeds, thin cucumber slices, dried cranberries
Salted nuts, sunflower seeds, dried fruit (like cranberries), and parmesan cheese are great toppings for this Chick Fil A kale salad recipe.
How can I repurpose this salad?
First of all, only dress the salad you plan on eating right away. This Chick Fil A kale salad recipe with added chicken, pork, or tofu would be great as a lunch wrap.
What can I make with leftover ingredients?
- Kale: Warm Kale Salad, Kale Salad with Pomegranate Balsamic Dressing, and Pork Chops with Apple Kale Salad.
- Broccoli: Roasted Broccoli & Mushrooms, Beef & Broccoli, Chicken and Broccoli Casserole, and Broccoli Salad with Grapes.
- Dried Cherries: add to PB Granola.
- Lemon: Lemon Herb Couscous, Lemony Carbonara, and Starbucks Copycat Passion Tea Lemonade.
Did you make this Chick Fil A kale salad recipe? Leave me a comment & rating to share how it turned out!
Copycat Chick Fil A Kale Salad
- 1 small mixing bowl
- 1 small whisk/fork
- cutting board
- serving bowl
- 2-3 stalks kale to make 1 heaping cup chopped, massaged kale
- ½ cup chopped broccoli cut into bite sized pieces
- 1-2 Tablespoons dried cherries
- 1-2 Tablespoons chopped salted cashews
- ½ teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 ½ teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 Tablespoon Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon Maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- ½ teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Pinch of salt
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Wash, and then remove kale leaves from 2-3 stalks. To remove leaves: hold bottom of stalk with one hand, and then place other hand above that hand, creating a ring around stalk. Run hand up stalk, gently sliding leaves off of the stalk.
- Grab all leaves and rub between hands until softened. Chop into bite sized pieces. Add to serving bowl or another bowl that's big enough to toss salad in.
- Chop broccoli into bite sized pieces to make ½ cup. Add to kale.
- Make dressing by zesting ½ teaspoon of lemon zest into a small mixing bowl. Add 1 ½ teaspoon of lemon juice from that lemon to zest. Then add 1 Tablespoon maple syrup, 1 Tablespoon olive oil, 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar, ½ teaspoon Dijon mustard, and salt/pepper to taste. Whisk together.
- Pour dressing over salad ingredients about 10-15 minutes before eating. Toss. Right before eating, add 1-2 Tablespoons dried cherries and 1-2 Tablespoons chopped salted cashews.
- Prep the Chick Fil A kale salad recipe ahead of time, just make the dressing and chop the vegetables, but don't massage kale it until you're ready to eat it; store vegetables and dressing in air tight containers.
- Substitute dried cherries for dried cranberries.
- Substitute salted cashews for walnuts, pecans, or almonds.
- Other great add-ins: grated parmesan cheese, sunflower seeds, thin cucumber slices, dried cranberries.
Recipes are great, but you’ll need a simple 3 step process to create a meal plan that make cooking easy & helps you stop wasting food. Check out this expertly developed meal planning guide to get started.