This single serving apple crisp is the perfect easy fall dessert for one. It takes just 10 minutes to assemble, and about 30 to bake. It's good out of the oven, but honestly really shines at room temperature-if you can wait!
Table of contents
How will a mini apple crisp make your life easier?
Large batch desserts don't always work when you're cooking for one person. When I bake larger/normal sized desserts, I get physically and emotionally sick of it. I feel like I have to eat it all. It's a struggle, that's why one serving, small batch desserts are great.
Recipes like this single serving apple crisp give you a delicious dessert without overwhelming you with leftovers for days and days. This apple crisp can be assembled in 10 minutes, with mostly pantry ingredients, and baked in about 30. It's a win-win.
Also, you can use whatever apple you like best/have on hand for this recipe. It's a great way to use apples that are getting soft, ones you may not want to eat plain. I recommend a tart apple like a pink lady (cripps pink), granny smith, or Braeburn.
Apple crisp ingredients
How do I make single serving apple crisp?
To start your single serving apple crisp, preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
Single Serving Apple Crisp Topping. Add whole wheat flour, oats, brown sugar, cinnamon, softened butter, and a pinch of salt to a small bowl. Cut butter into other ingredients together with a fork or your hands. Mix until small pebbles of butter form.
Chop apple into bite sized pieces, add to other apple filling ingredients in 7 ounce baking dish.
Apple filling. Add brown sugar, flour, cinnamon, salt, apple cider vinegar to apples in baking dish. Toss until evenly-ish coated. You can skip making this syrup mixture, but it's really delicious and worth the step. Top apple filling with crumbly topping.
This mixture will give the apple filling a nice syrup in your single serving apple crisp.
Bake your single serving apple crisp for 25-30 minutes, until topping is browned and filling is bubbly. Top with fresh whipped cream or ice cream. Or nothing. There are lots of options!
How to make your apple crisp recipe in a microwave?
Make your single serving apple crisp according to the directions above, and microwave in a microwave safe bowl for 3-4 minutes. Until apples are bubbly. Let stand 3-5 minutes. Enjoy. Topping isn't as crunchy, but just as delicious this way.
- You can make your single serving apple crisp without the extra apple filling ingredients, but it adds a lot of extra flavor, so I think it's worth the extra step.
- You can substitute the whole wheat flour for all purpose flour, I just like using it for the slight nutty flavor.
- Use your favorite kind of apple, I recommend a tart apple like a braeburn (that's what I used, they're grown in Utah and DIVINE), granny smith, or pink lady.
- You can skip adding apple cider vinegar, I love a splash of acid in these types of dishes, instead of typical lemon, I kept with the apple theme.
- Swap the dark brown sugar for light brown sugar if that's what you have. But dark brown sugar has a deeper, more intense flavor, which is great in this recipe.
- Don't skip the salt, it really enhances the flavor. I forgot it in my first test, a sprinkle at the end made a big difference.
- Warm apple crisp is good, but every time I tested it, it was more delicious at room temperature. If you can make it ahead, I recommend letting it cool a bit or completely before enjoying. The apple and cinnamon flavors really come together.
- Other great single serving apple crisp add-ins: chopped nuts, a drizzle of caramel sauce, flaky salt, etc.
Lemon juice (or other acid) keeps your apple slices from browning, it also adds a nice bright flavor to your crisp. I swapped lemon juice for apple cider vinegar in this single serving apple crisp recipe.
At least start baking your single serving apple crisp uncovered, it will allow your topping to crisp. If your topping gets too brown, cover it to prevent it from burning.
You can use turbinado sugar or white sugar instead of brown sugar in apple crisp. The brown sugar gives your crisp a caramel flavor, which is really tasty, so I recommend it over white sugar. But if you don't have any the other options work.
How can I repurpose?
If you have any leftover single serving apple crisp, you can enjoy it for breakfast with some yogurt on top. It's good hot or cold.
What can I make with leftover ingredients?
- Apple: Chicken Pecan Salad with Apples, Spinach Apple Banana Smoothie, Apple Cucumber Salad, and Apple Pie Overnight Oats.
- Oats: Cinnamon Overnight Oats with Apples, Baked Oats for One, Banana Blueberry Oatmeal Muffins, and Cherry Oatmeal Bars.
- Brown Sugar: Single Serving Chocolate Chip Cookie, Bananas Foster Pancakes, and Peanut Butter Caramel Sauce.
Did you make this single serving apple crisp? Leave me a comment & rating to share how it turned out!
Single Serving Apple Crisp
- small mixing bowl
- Measuring Spoons
- 7 ounce baking dish or slightly larger
- cutting board
- 3 Tablespoons rolled oats old fashioned
- 1 Tablespoon whole wheat flour
- 2 Tablespoons butter softened
- 1 Tablespoon dark brown sugar
- ⅛ teaspoon cinnamon
- pinch salt
- 1 teaspoon dark brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon whole wheat flour
- ⅛ teaspoon cinnamon
- ⅛ teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- pinch salt
- 1 medium apple about 2 cups, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Make Topping: Add the following ingredients to a small mixing bowl- 3 Tablespoons rolled oats (old fashioned oats), 1 Tablespoon whole wheat flour, 1 Tablespoon dark brown sugar, 2 Tablespoons softened butter, ⅛ teaspoon cinnamon, pinch of salt. Cut together with fork or your hands.
- Make Apple Filling: Add the following ingredients to your 7 ounce baking dish-1 teaspoon dark brown sugar, ½ teaspoon whole wheat flour, ⅛ teaspoon cinnamon, ⅛ teaspoon apple cider vinegar, and pinch of salt. Stir together.
- Peel apple if desired then, chop into bite sized pieces, about 2 cups. Add to remaining apple filling ingredients. Toss until all apples are covered. If overflowing, remove some apples.
- Spoon topping over apple filling. Bake for 25-30 minutes, until topping is golden brown and apples are bubbling.
- Serve hot or at room temperature with ice cream, cream, or yogurt.
- Substitute the whole wheat flour for all purpose flour
- Substitute dark brown sugar for light brown sugar
- Use your favorite apple in this recipe, I like tart apples in baked goods. I used a local braeburn apple. It's my all time favorite.
- Additional toppings: chopped nuts (you can add them to your topping), caramel sauce, etc.
Recipes are great, but you’ll need a simple 3 step process to create a meal plan that make cooking easy & helps you stop wasting food. Check out this expertly developed meal planning guide to get started.