This 5 ingredient, 10 minute healthy cucumber tomato salad with basil is the perfect summer recipe, and is a great way to use fresh vegetables. Add chicken for an easy dinner for one, or keep it as a side dish for a summer picnic/quick dinner.
[This recipe was originally posted in July 2019. It has been updated with new , cooking instructions, expert tips, FAQ, related recipes, and ways to repurpose/use up ingredients]
PIN HERE to add to your recipe box.
Table of contents
How this easy cucumber salad will make your life easier
It's easy to accidentally let vegetables rot in the back of your fridge. But that won't happen with this healthy cucumber tomato salad. It just takes a few minutes to throw together, and is bursting with flavor-no more forgetting the veggies!
Add some grilled chicken and crusty bread to make a full meal, or serve with a few different summery dishes.
What to serve this cucumber tomato salad with
- Grilled Chicken Burgers
- Lamb Burgers with Tzatziki Sauce
- Pressure Cooker Pulled Pork
- Grilled Lamb Steak
What goes in this healthy cucumber salad
How to make this salad with cucumber and tomato
Slice your cucumbers, cut cherry tomatoes in half, and chiffonade the basil. Here's more direct instructions from the Kitchn on how to chiffonade basil. This will give you lots of bites of fresh basil in this healthy cucumber tomato salad.
NOTE: Use a regular or an English cucumber in this healthy cucumber tomato salad. English cucumbers are generally longer and the skin is less waxy. I used a regular cucumber here because they were on sale at the store. You can use either.
If the cucumber skin is bitter, peel some or all of it. This will make your salad much tastier!
Next, you'll mix together the dressing for this healthy cucumber tomato salad. White balsamic vinegar is great in it, because it's got a mild-er flavor than regular.
Swap the white balsamic for red wine vinegar or regular balsamic if that's what you have, you'll want to use less of the regular balsamic-taste to see.
Pour dressing over cucumbers and tomatoes, toss well. I'd also recommend letting your healthy cucumber tomato salad stand at room temperature for at least 15 minutes prior to serving. Top with basil just before serving.
- Slice cucumber into similar sized thin slices for this healthy cucumber tomato salad
- Swap the white balsamic vinegar for red wine vinegar if you don't have it. Or regular balsamic, either would be good.
- You can leave seeds in the cucumber or remove them with a spoon. Either way it's great, just a personal preference!
I'd recommend peeling your cucumber if it's skin is waxy. Personally I think the cucumber skin is too thick, waxy, and often bitter so I usually peel it. English cucumber skin usually isn't as thick and waxy as traditional cucumber skin.
I used a regular cucumber because they're usually about ⅓ the price of English cucumbers and aren't packaged in additional plastic. English cucumber skin is usually thinner and less bitter. Use whichever works for you.
Most dishes last 3-5 days in the fridge. I recommend sniffing your healthy cucumber tomato salad, if it smells good, it should be safe to eat. If not, it's ready to toss.
Cucumbers and tomatoes are great together, think of all the salads that have both! This healthy cucumber tomato salad is an example, the crunchy cucumbers and juicy tomatoes add a lot of flavor and texture to it. Yum!
What can I make with leftover ingredients?
- Cucumbers: Spiced Lamb Burger with Tzatziki, add to any of these salads.
- Tomatoes: No Mayo Potato Salad, BLT Bagel, Pan Seared Salmon with Summer Salad
- Basil: Simple Pasta Recipe, Pasta with Mushroom Sauce, or Pistachio Pesto
Did you make this healthy cucumber tomato salad? leave me a comment to share how it turned out!
Healthy Cucumber Tomato Salad
- cutting board
- medium mixing bowl
- small mixing bowl
- 1 cup sliced cucumbers
- ½ cup cherry or grape tomatoes sliced in half, lengthwise
- ½ tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon white balsamic vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 5-6 basil leaves
- Add 1 c sliced cucumbers and ½ c tomatoes (sliced in half) to a medium sized mixing bowl. Set aside.
- Mix together ½ tablespoon extra virgin olive oil, 1 tablespoon white balsamic vinegar, ¼ teaspoon salt in a small mixing bowl. Pour over vegetables, and toss well.
- Chiffonade basil leaves and add to salad right before serving.
- How to chiffonade basil: Stack basil leaves, then roll them up into a tube. Slice basil into thin strips and add to salad.
- How to turn this into a full meal: Serve with crusty bread and grilled chicken
Want to get more single serving recipes like this healthy cucumber tomato salad delivered to your inbox? Click here to download my Single Serving Cookbook.
Recipes, like this salad are great, but you’ll need a simple 3 step process to create a meal plan that make cooking easy & helps you stop wasting food. Grab this expertly developed meal planning guide to get started.
Leave a Reply