Need an easy side salad? This 6 ingredient carrot cucumber salad takes just 5 minutes to make, and is great with lots of different dishes, like this 15 Minute Pasta with 'Homemade' Tomato Sauce.
Table of contents
How will this cucumber carrot salad make your life easier?
This carrot cucumber salad, just like this Apple Cucumber Salad is a great side dish to make if you have cucumbers to use up. It takes just a couple minutes to make and won't leave you with weeks worth of salad to have to eat if you're cooking for one.
This easy recipe is made with crisp english cucumbers (their skin is way less bitter than traditional cucumbers), thinly sliced carrot, red onion, and is covered with a tangy dressing of red wine vinegar, sugar, and oregano.
Pair it with:
- Gnocchi Carbonara
- Brisket Grilled Cheese
- Ravioli with Mushroom Cream Sauce
- Chicken Salad Pita
- Buffalo Chicken Flatbread
- 15 Minute Pasta with 'Homemade' Tomato Sauce
What makes this cucumber salad so good?
How to prepare a cucumber carrot salad?
Slice your vegetables.
Add them all to a mixing bowl, then add the 4-5 dressing ingredients, mix, and let the cucumber carrot salad sit for at least 10 minutes (but longer is better) to let the vegetables soak up the tangy dressing.
- Make sure to let your cucumber salad stand/marinate-the longer the better, it'll bring out the tangy dressing flavors. If you remember, make it 1 hour or 1 day before you plan on eating it.
- This recipe is easily doubled/tripled/+ for a crowd
- You can also make a soy sauce based dressing with soy sauce, rice vinegar, and sesame oil.
- Other great add-ins: fresh herbs, more red wine vinegar, red pepper flakes, garlic salt, tomatoes, and celery.
This salad is really easy to make, just thinly slice your vegetables. Next, add your dressing ingredients, mix, and let it sit for at least 10 minutes so the vegetables soak up the dressing flavors.
A red wine vinegar dressing with oregano is used on this salad, and it's delicious. A white or dark balsamic dressing, soy sauce based dressing, or rice vinegar dressing would also be great on this salad.
How can I repurpose?
This cucumber salad would be delicious added into a sandwich, think turkey sandwich, Italian style sub, meatball sub, etc OR incorporated into a salad.
What can I make with leftover ingredients?
- Cucumber: Cucumber Tomato Salad, Spiced Lamb Burgers with Tzatziki, or Watermelon Chicken Salad.
- Carrot: White Bean and Farro Bowl or Red Wine Vinegar Coleslaw.
- Red Onion: Watermelon Chicken Salad or Fish Tacos with White Sauce and Orange Salsa.
Did you make this carrot cucumber salad? Leave me a comment & rating to share how it turned out!
Carrot Cucumber Salad
- cutting board
- Mandoline Slicer
- Measuring cups, spoons
- small mixing bowl
- 1 cup sliced english cucumber or about 3-4 inches cucumber
- ½ medium carrot julienned
- 2 tablespoons thinly sliced red onion or a small handful
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon granulated sugar
- ¼ teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- pinch salt
- Thinly slice 3-4 inch long section of an english cucumber, julienne ½ medium sized carrot, and thinly slice about two tablespoons of red onion. Transfer vegetables to a small mixing bowl, set aside.
- Pour the following ingredients over vegetables: 3 Tablespoons red wine vinegar, ¼ teaspoon sugar, ¼ teaspoon oregano, and a pinch of salt. Mix well.
- Set aside to marinade for at least 10 minutes. Enjoy.
Recipes are great, but you’ll need a simple 3 step process to create a meal plan that make cooking easy & helps you stop wasting food. Check out this expertly developed meal planning guide to get started.