Cold weather calls for warming up with hot cocoa. Liven up your hot cocoa with the best hot chocolate toppings like peppermint and peanut butter powder. These toppings are easy and quick to add to your hot chocolate.
[This recipe was originally posted in January 2019. It has been updated with new cooking instructions, expert tips, FAQ, related recipes, and ways to repurpose/use up ingredients]
PIN HERE to add to your recipe box.
How will these hot cocoa toppings make your life better?
Set up an easy hot cocoa bar with lots of different hot chocolate toppings. Definitely start with great hot chocolate, and then add individual toppings that guests can add to their cocoa. And that's it, can a holiday party be any easier?
You can also serve this warm kale & pomegranate salad, this grapefruit avocado salad, or any other winter recipe or bring it if you're not hosting. Serve these chocolate dipped oreos or bring them as a hostess gift for the holidays.
What makes these toppings for hot chocolate so good?
Your favorite hot chocolate mix + milk +
- Whipped cream
- Crushed peppermint candy
- Powdered peanut butter
- Dark cocoa powder
- Mini marshmallows
- Chocolate candies
- Candy cane
How do I add hot cocoa toppings to hot chocolate?
Make a cup of hot chocolate with your favorite mix (according to mix directions). Try this easy homemade cocoa mix- add 1-1.5 T to 1 c milk.
Add a dollop of fresh whipped cream as one of your toppings.
Top with any additional toppings like:
- 1 tablespoon crushed peppermint candy
- 1 teaspoon powdered peanut butter
- 1 teaspoon dark cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon mini marshmallows
- 1 teaspoon chocolate candies
- 1 candy cane
Great topping combos:
- Peppermint candy + mini marshmallows + dark cocoa powder
- Peanut butter powder + dark cocoa powder + mini marshmallows.
- Make your own hot chocolate by following this 3 ingredient recipe and then add your favorite toppings.
- Add more sugar if desired.
- Add crushed peppermint candy + mini marshmallows + dark cocoa powder OR peanut butter powder + dark cocoa powder + mini marshmallows.
What toppings can you put on hot chocolate?
Add crushed peppermint candy + mini marshmallows + dark cocoa powder OR peanut butter powder + dark cocoa powder + mini marshmallows. You can also add whipped cream, mini marshmallows, crushed candy cane, or other hot chocolate toppings.
Is hot cocoa better with milk or water?
Milk, definitely. If you have a choice definitely choose milk. Hot cocoa made with milk will be creamier, will taste chocolatier and will be tastier than hot cocoa made with water.
What do you put on a hot cocoa bar?
If you're hosting a party in the winter, or having guests over, a hot chocolate bar is a really fun & easy way to treat your guests.
Just pour hot chocolate mixes into bowls (read ingredients in recipe card below), keep milk and water warm on the stove or in a vessel to keep it warm, and add toppings to small bowls.
What can I make with leftover ingredients?
- Peppermint: add to chocolate covered oreos
- Peanut Butter Powder: add to a smoothie like this triple berry smoothie with granola
- Whipped Cream: make cream cheese whipped cream on this pumpkin bundt cake
Did you make cocoa with any of these hot chocolate toppings? Leave me a comment & rating to share how it turned out!
The Best Hot Chocolate Toppings
- Small Saucepan
- favorite hot chocolate mix
- 8 ounces milk or water
- 1 tablespoon whipped cream
- 1 tablespoon crushed peppermint candy optional
- 1 teaspoon powdered peanut butter optional
- 1 teaspoon dark cocoa powder optional
- 1 tablespoon mini marshmallows optional
- 1 teaspoon chocolate candies optional
- 1 candy cane optional
- Make a cup of hot chocolate with your favorite mix (according to mix directions). Add a dollop of fresh whipped cream. Top with any of the above toppings. Enjoy.
- Make your own hot chocolate by following this 3 ingredient recipe.
- Add more sugar if desired.
- Add crushed peppermint candy + mini marshmallows + dark cocoa powder. OR Peanut butter powder + dark cocoa powder + mini marshmallows.