Check out these best hot chocolate toppings to liven up your hot cocoa. You'll find tasty toppings from peppermint to peanut butter that you and your guests will love. These add-ins are easy and quick to add to your hot chocolate.
[This recipe was originally posted in January 2019. It has been updated with new cooking instructions, expert tips, FAQ, related recipes, and ways to repurpose/use up ingredients]
Table of contents
How will these hot chocolate bar ideas make your life better?
If you're cold and need something exciting to warm you up, add one or a couple of these hot chocolate toppings to your cocoa for a quick treat.
Or create a hot chocolate bar by setting out these easy hot chocolate toppings. Definitely start with great hot chocolate, and then add individual toppings that guests can add to their cocoa.
And that's it, can a holiday party be any easier?
What are some good toppings for hot chocolate?
Your favorite hot chocolate mix + milk +
- Whipped cream
- Crushed peppermint candy
- Powdered peanut butter
- Dark cocoa powder
- Mini marshmallows
- Chocolate candies or chocolate chips
- Candy cane
- Mint extract
- Berry jam
- Fresh or frozen berries like strawberries, raspberries, etc.
- Caramel or chocolate sauce
How do I add hot cocoa toppings to hot chocolate?
Here's how to make delicious hot cocoa with lots of different toppings. Make a cup of hot chocolate with your favorite mix (according to mix directions) or try this easy homemade cocoa mix- add 1-1.5 Tablespoons of mix to 1 cup milk.
Add a dollop of fresh whipped cream as one of your hot chocolate toppings.
Top with any additional toppings like:
- 1 Tablespoon crushed peppermint candy
- 1 teaspoon powdered peanut butter
- 1 teaspoon dark cocoa powder
- 1 Tablespoon mini marshmallows
- 1 teaspoon chocolate candies
- 1 candy cane
- 1 Tablespoon berry jam
- Handful of berries
- Drizzle of chocolate or caramel sauce
- Mint or almond extract
Great topping combos:
- Peppermint candy + mini marshmallows + dark cocoa powder
- Peanut butter powder + dark cocoa powder + mini marshmallows.
Enjoy your cocoa with hot chocolate toppings immediately.
Store any leftover premade hot chocolate in an airtight container. A large jar with tight lid works great. Store leftover toppings in individual containers or bags.
Premade hot chocolate should last about a week. Reheat in the microwave or on the stove. Hot chocolate toppings should last a while, the candies will at least. Enjoy the berries within a couple days to a week.
- Make your own hot cocoa by following this 3 ingredient recipe and then add your favorite toppings.
- Add more sugar if desired.
- Add crushed peppermint candy + mini marshmallows + dark cocoa powder OR peanut butter powder + dark cocoa powder + mini marshmallows.
Add crushed peppermint candy + mini marshmallows + dark cocoa powder OR peanut butter powder + dark cocoa powder + mini marshmallows. Add whipped cream, mini marshmallows, crushed candy cane, or other cocoa toppings.
Milk, definitely. If you have a choice definitely choose milk. Hot cocoa made with milk will be creamier, will taste chocolatier and will be tastier than hot cocoa made with water.
If you're hosting a party in the winter, or having guests over, a hot cocoa bar is a really fun & easy way to treat your guests.
Just pour hot chocolate toppings into bowls (read ingredients in recipe card below), keep milk and water warm on the stove or in a vessel to keep it warm, and add toppings to small bowls.
What can I make with leftover ingredients?
- Milk: Semi-Homemade BBQ Ranch Dressing, Frozen Breakfast Sandwich, and Peanut Butter Chia Pudding.
- Peppermint Candy: add to chocolate covered oreos, or this Single Serving Chocolate Chip Cookie.
- Peanut Butter Powder: Peanut Butter Caramel, Strawberry Banana Peanut Butter Smoothie, or add to a smoothie like this triple berry smoothie with granola
- Whipped Cream: make cream cheese whipped cream on this pumpkin bundt cake or top some Holiday Gingerbread Cake.
Did you make cocoa with any of these hot chocolate toppings? Leave me a comment & rating to share how it turned out!
The Best Hot Chocolate Toppings
- Small Saucepan
- 1-2 Tablespoons favorite hot chocolate mix
- 8 ounces milk or water multiply for more servings
Optional Hot Chocolate Toppings
- 1 tablespoon whipped cream
- 1 tablespoon crushed peppermint candy optional
- 1 teaspoon powdered peanut butter optional
- 1 teaspoon dark cocoa powder optional
- 1 tablespoon mini marshmallows optional
- 1 teaspoon chocolate candies optional
- 1 candy cane optional
- Make a cup of hot chocolate with your favorite mix (according to mix directions). Double, triple, or make enough for a crowd. Add about 1-2 Tablespoons powdered hot chocolate mix per 8 ounces of milk.
- Add a dollop of fresh whipped cream. Top with any of the above toppings. Enjoy.
- Make your own cocoa by following this 3 ingredient recipe.
- Add more sugar if desired.
- Add crushed peppermint candy + mini marshmallows + dark cocoa powder. OR Peanut butter powder + dark cocoa powder + mini marshmallows. Or make your own flavor combination.