Cold weather calls for warming up with hot cocoa. Liven up your hot cocoa with the best hot chocolate toppings like peppermint and peanut butter powder. These add-ins are easy and quick to add to your hot chocolate.
[This recipe was originally posted in January 2019. It has been updated with new cooking instructions, expert tips, FAQ, related recipes, and ways to repurpose/use up ingredients]
Table of contents
How will these hot chocolate bar ideas make your life better?
Set up an easy hot cocoa bar with lots of different add-ins. Definitely start with great hot chocolate, and then add individual toppings that guests can add to their cocoa. And that's it, can a holiday party be any easier?
What are some good toppings for hot chocolate?
Your favorite hot chocolate mix + milk +
- Whipped cream
- Crushed peppermint candy
- Powdered peanut butter
- Dark cocoa powder
- Mini marshmallows
- Chocolate candies or chocolate chips
- Candy cane
How do I add hot cocoa toppings to hot chocolate?
Here's how to make delicious hot cocoa with lots of different toppings Make a cup of hot chocolate with your favorite mix (according to mix directions). Try this easy homemade cocoa mix- add 1-1.5 T of mix to 1 c milk.
Add a dollop of fresh whipped cream as one of your hot chocolate toppings.
Top with any additional toppings like:
- 1 tablespoon crushed peppermint candy
- 1 teaspoon powdered peanut butter
- 1 teaspoon dark cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon mini marshmallows
- 1 teaspoon chocolate candies
- 1 candy cane
Great topping combos:
- Peppermint candy + mini marshmallows + dark cocoa powder
- Peanut butter powder + dark cocoa powder + mini marshmallows.
Serve your cocoa with hot chocolate toppings immediately.
- Make your own hot cocoa by following this 3 ingredient recipe and then add your favorite toppings.
- Add more sugar if desired.
- Add crushed peppermint candy + mini marshmallows + dark cocoa powder OR peanut butter powder + dark cocoa powder + mini marshmallows.
Add crushed peppermint candy + mini marshmallows + dark cocoa powder OR peanut butter powder + dark cocoa powder + mini marshmallows. Add whipped cream, mini marshmallows, crushed candy cane, or other cocoa toppings.
Milk, definitely. If you have a choice definitely choose milk. Hot cocoa made with milk will be creamier, will taste chocolatier and will be tastier than hot cocoa made with water.
If you're hosting a party in the winter, or having guests over, a hot cocoa bar is a really fun & easy way to treat your guests.
Just pour hot chocolate toppings into bowls (read ingredients in recipe card below), keep milk and water warm on the stove or in a vessel to keep it warm, and add toppings to small bowls.
What can I make with leftover ingredients?
- Peppermint: add to chocolate covered oreos
- Peanut Butter Powder: add to a smoothie like this triple berry smoothie with granola
- Whipped Cream: make cream cheese whipped cream on this pumpkin bundt cake
Did you make cocoa with any of these hot chocolate toppings? Leave me a comment & rating to share how it turned out!
The Best Hot Chocolate Toppings
- Small Saucepan
- favorite hot chocolate mix
- 8 ounces milk or water
- 1 tablespoon whipped cream
- 1 tablespoon crushed peppermint candy optional
- 1 teaspoon powdered peanut butter optional
- 1 teaspoon dark cocoa powder optional
- 1 tablespoon mini marshmallows optional
- 1 teaspoon chocolate candies optional
- 1 candy cane optional
- Make a cup of hot chocolate with your favorite mix (according to mix directions). Add a dollop of fresh whipped cream. Top with any of the above toppings. Enjoy.
- Make your own cocoa by following this 3 ingredient recipe.
- Add more sugar if desired.
- Add crushed peppermint candy + mini marshmallows + dark cocoa powder. OR Peanut butter powder + dark cocoa powder + mini marshmallows.
Recipes are great, but you’ll need a simple 3 step process to create a meal plan that make cooking easy & helps you stop wasting food. Check out this expertly developed meal planning guide to get started.