This air fryer frozen salmon recipe is an easy 15 minute recipe for days you didn't plan dinner. Add frozen vegetables and fries to the basket and make a whole dinner for one in your air fryer.
Table of contents
- How will this dish make your life easier?
- Other great Air Fryer recipes
- What makes this dish so good?
- How do I make it?
- How to make with fresh salmon
- How to make with broccoli and potatoes
- How to cook frozen salmon in the oven
- Great side dishes for salmon
- What can I make with leftover ingredients?
How will this dish make your life easier?
I've been an air fryer skeptic, but after getting a couple for work projects, yes I have 2 now. I'm starting to warm up to it. Many of the good air fryers are large, and take up lots of counter space, but if you want a functional small appliance, this might be it!
I've started to toast bread and bagels in it. It's kind-of become my toaster, mini-oven, and convection oven. It's great to reheat leftovers that you want to be crispy, and cooks fish, like air fryer frozen salmon INCREDIBLY.
You can cook fresh or frozen fish in an air fryer, just like this air fryer frozen salmon and get super tender, flaky, yet crispy on the edges fish. It's quicker, easier, and uses up less energy than the oven.
An air fryer isn't for everyone, but if you've been curious about it, it's a functional 'one purpose' appliance, but it does more than just fry foods without oil.
The one caveat is replacing frying with it. Air fried foods are very crispy and crunchy, but have a much more dry crust than foods fried in oil, which are more tender and crispy. It's great for frozen breaded/fried foods though.
Other great Air Fryer recipes
- Air Fryer Popcorn
- Air Fryer Broccolini
- Air Fryer Corned Beef and Veggies
- Air Fryer Broccoli and Cauliflower (you can even add this to salmon. Add it in the last 5 minutes of cooking time)
What makes this dish so good?
- Frozen Salmon: I like using frozen fish because it's usually freshest where I live, it's also less expensive than fresh, and easy to find. It makes for super easy air fryer frozen salmon.
- Cooking Spray: Spray the basket so your salmon doesn't stick to it.
- Olive Oil: Base ingredient to a delicious sauce
- Lemon Juice: Adds tart flavor to your salmon sauce.
- Dijon Mustard: Dijon mustard tastes great with olive oil and lemon juice. It also helps blend the oil and lemon juice together, so they don't separate.
- Garlic: It adds a nice sweet garlicky flavor to your air fryer frozen salmon.
- Salt: Brings out the flavors of the salmon and sauce.
How do I make it?
Start making your air fryer frozen salmon by preheating your air fryer to 390 degrees for 5 minutes.
After 5 minutes, remove basket, spray with cooking spray and place frozen salmon filet in basket. Cook 5 minutes. This is essentially to defrost the salmon.
While salmon is cooking, prepare sauce by adding olive oil, lemon juice, dijon mustard, garlic, and salt to a small mixing bowl. Whisk until incorporated. Set aside until your air fryer frozen salmon is defrosted.
After 5 minutes, remove basket and brush salmon with sauce until covered. You can brush remaining sauce over salmon after it's cooked. Return to basket and cook 5-7 minutes, until internal temperature reaches 145 degrees F in the thickest part.
Enjoy your cooked air fryer frozen salmon with a side dish or two. You can even cook frozen sides with the salmon. Store leftovers in airtight container for 3-5 days. Reheat in air fryer or microwave.
How to make with fresh salmon
You can also make this air fryer frozen salmon with fresh, or already defrosted salmon. Just skip the first 5 minute cooking time. Skip to step 3 while your air fryer is preheating. Add the sauce when you cook the salmon.
How to make with broccoli and potatoes
You can cook frozen vegetables with your air fryer frozen salmon. Just add frozen broccoli, for example, and frozen fries to the basket when you originally add the frozen salmon. Add oil or spray to the broccoli. Toss when you add sauce to salmon.
How to cook frozen salmon in the oven
According to Food Network, you can cook frozen salmon in an oven at 450 degrees, for 13-16 minutes. Here are the instructions.
- You can adjust the sauce to meet preferences, or add a different sauce to it.
- You can cook multiple filets of air fryer frozen salmon at the same time, but it really is best fresh, so cook just before eating for best flavor and texture.
- Other great add-ins: Season salmon like in this Maple Dijon Salmon or Parchment Salmon (with white wine, butter, and lemon).
Yes it's very easy to cook Air Fryer frozen salmon. No planning ahead of time. It just takes 5 minutes to defrost it in the air fryer and 5-7 more to cook. I highly recommend it.
I actually recommend cooking it at 390 degrees. Cooking it at 400 degrees lead to overcooked skin and undercooked center. Cooking your Air Fryer frozen salmon at 390 degrees gives you tender fish with crispy edges.
Great side dishes for salmon
If you don't have any frozen sides to heat up with your salmon, try any of these other options:
- Air Fryer Broccoli and Cauliflower
- Copycat Chick Fil A Kale Salad
- Zucchini with Feta
- Beet Salad with Goat Cheese
- Cucumber Tomato Salad
- Lemon Herb Couscous
What can I make with leftover ingredients?
- Salmon: Parchment Baked Salmon, Sheet Pan Maple Mustard Salmon, Miso Butter Salmon
- Lemon Juice: Air Fryer Broccolini, Fresh Strawberry Sauce, Lemon Carbonara
- Dijon Mustard: Potato Salad with Bacon, Kale Apple and Pecan Salad, Chicken Pecan Salad with Apples
Did you make this Air Fryer frozen salmon? Leave me a comment & rating to share how it/they turned out!
Air Fryer Frozen Salmon for One
- small mixing bowl
- small whisk or fork
- Air Fryer
- Pastry Brush or spoon
- 4-5 ounce frozen salmon filet with or without skin
- cooking spray
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon dijon mustard
- ⅛ teaspoon garlic minced
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- Preheat Air Fryer for 5 minutes at 390 degrees.
- After it's preheated, spray basket with cooking spray. Place frozen 4-5 ounce salmon filet in basket. Cook 5 minutes to defrost.
- While salmon is cooking, mix together sauce in small mixing bowl. Add 1 Tablespoon olive oil, ½ teaspoon lemon juice, ¼ teaspoon dijon mustard, ⅛ teaspoon minced garlic, and ⅛ teaspoon salt. Whisk together until incorporated. Set aside.
- After 5 minutes, remove basket and brush about ⅓-1/2 sauce over filet. Replace in Air Fryer. Cook 5-7 more minutes. Until temperature of thickest part of fish reaches 145 degrees F.
- Drizzle more sauce over cooked fish, if desired. Enjoy with your favorite side dishes. (You can cook frozen vegetables and potatoes with the fish. Add to basket with the fish. Toss when you take the basket out to add the sauce).
- Note: if fish it not frozen, skip cooking the fish for the first 5 minutes. Spray basket, add fish, and brush sauce over it. Cook 5-7 minutes, until it reaches 145 degrees F in the thickest part of the fish.
- Cook sides in air fryer with salmon, if desired.
- Switch up the sauce/seasonings, you can add a simple maple syrup and mustard sauce for example.
- You can prepare this fish ahead of time, but it is best freshly cooked. If you plan on enjoying it cold, you can definitely prep this and refrigerate until use.
Recipes are great, but you’ll need a simple 3 step process to create a meal plan that make cooking easy & helps you stop wasting food. Check out this expertly developed meal planning guide to get started.