This comforting, cheesy, creamy mushroom chicken with rice is the perfect fall recipe. It's done in about 25 minutes in just one pot, so you can have a delicious dinner in no time and with just a bit of clean-up.
Table of contents
How will this creamy chicken rice make your life easier?
Dinner is no longer a chore with this super easy creamy mushroom chicken with rice recipe, all you need are fresh mushrooms, and the rest of the ingredients you'll hopefully have in your kitchen.
Set a timer to cook the mushrooms, flip them, and then add the remaining ingredients to cook for 15-20 minutes. This easy rice dish cooks in one pot, and is ready in less than half an hour.
If you're looking for recipes similar to this creamy mushroom chicken with rice, check out: Instant Pot Chicken Fried Rice, Instant Pot Chicken and Yellow Rice, or Chicken and Broccoli Divan (casserole).
What makes this chicken mushroom dish so good?
How do I make it?
Pan fry your mushrooms in butter and fresh thyme, if you have it. If not, you can use ½ the amount of dried thyme. Make sure to leave enough room for your mushrooms, they need to be in a single layer to brown up. Remove.
Add rinsed rice (make sure to rinse your rice or it gets gummy), garlic, chicken broth, milk, salt and pepper. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Add more water if needed.
When done, fluff rice with a fork, add cream cheese, cooked mushrooms and parmesan cheese. Serve creamy mushroom chicken with rice immediately.
- RINSE YOUR RICE. Your creamy mushroom chicken with rice will be gummy if you don't.
- Use a small chicken breast or chicken thigh if you don't have tenders.
- You can use equal amounts of heavy cream or half & half instead of milk in this chicken recipe.
- You can add other vegetables to your dish.
- Swap chicken for ground beef or pork, or tofu.
- Other great add-ins: zucchini, onions, other vegetables, oregano, and red pepper flakes would all be great in creamy mushroom chicken with rice.
It's best to cook mushrooms in a single layer, which takes up space. Cook the mushrooms before the chicken in creamy mushroom chicken with rice so your mushrooms can be nice and browned.
What can I make with leftover ingredients?
- Chicken: Chicken Walnut Cranberry Salad, Buffalo Chicken Flatbread, and Chicken Bacon and Brussels Sprouts Sheet Pan Dinner.
- Rice: Stuffed Squash with Ground Beef and Rice, Thai Inspired Beef and Garlic Bowl, and Black Bean Veggie Tacos.
- Mushrooms: Ravioli with Mushroom Cream Sauce, IP Chicken Soup with Mushrooms, and Chicken Bacon and Mushroom Pasta.
- Thyme: Sweet Potato Soup with Tofu, and Roasted Garlic Mushrooms.
Did you make this creamy mushroom chicken with rice? Leave me a comment & rating to share how it turned out!
Creamy Mushroom Chicken with Rice
- cutting board
- Large saucepan
- Measuring cups, spoons
- rubber spatula
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 4 ounces white mushrooms sliced
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
- ⅓ cup white rice rinsed
- 1 chicken tender thawed or frozen
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- ⅓ cup water + 1 tablespoon
- ¼ teaspoon chicken bouillon paste
- ⅓ cup milk
- ½-1 tablespoon cream cheese (optional)
- parmesan cheese, to taste
- Add 1 tablespoon butter, 4 ounces sliced white mushrooms, 1 teaspoon thyme to saucepan over medium-high heat. Cook 5 minutes on each side, until golden brown. Remove from heat.
- Add ⅓ cup rinsed white rice, chicken tender, ⅓ cup + 1 tablespoon water, ¼ teaspoon chicken bouillon, ⅓ cup milk to saucepan. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to simmer. Cook for 15 minutes. Add more water if needed.
- Once rice is cooked and tender, turn off heat, add ½-1 tablespoon cream cheese to rice. Stir into rice. Top with grated parmesan cheese and enioy.
- Rinse rice before adding to pan. Your creamy mushroom chicken with rice will be gummy if you don't rinse it before cooking.
- You can add other vegetables to your dish, just cook them with your mushrooms.
- Swap chicken for ground beef or pork, or tofu if you'd like.
- Other great add-ins are zucchini, onions, other vegetables, oregano, and red pepper flakes would all be great in creamy mushroom chicken with rice.
Recipes are great, but you’ll need a simple 3 step process to create a meal plan that make cooking easy & helps you stop wasting food. Check out this expertly developed meal planning guide to get started.