Make this breakfast sausage casserole ahead of time so you can have a hearty and tasty breakfast that can heat and go. This flavor packed just takes about an hour to prep, bake, and freeze in individual servings so you can have breakfasts, quick lunches, or dinners for a couple weeks.
[This recipe was originally posted in March 2018. It has been updated with new cooking instructions, expert tips, FAQ, related recipes, and ways to repurpose/use up ingredients]
PIN HERE to add to your recipe box.
How will this breakfast sausage casserole make your life easier?
Would you rather sleep in a bit longer or actually do your hair in the morning? Ya me too. This breakfast casserole is the perfect way to eat a delicious breakfast without spending much time in the morning.
Take an hour to whip this casserole up, and then freeze in individual portions so you can grab and microwave it at home or at the office for a quick and nourishing breakfast. These freezer breakfast tacos, simple berry overnight oats, & peanut butter and banana overnight oats, and easy yogurt bowl are a couple of my other fave quick breakfast ideas.
What makes this breakfast casserole so good?
- Breakfast sausage
- Green bell pepper
- Cheddar cheese
How do I make this breakfast sausage casserole?
Heat cast iron skillet or medium sized sautee pan over medium heat. Spray with cooking spray, add 2 lbs breakfast sausage to hot skillet. Separate meat to crumble and cook until done. About 10 minutes.
Expert Tip: Use your favorite sweet breakfast sausage.
While sausage is cooking, heat oven to 350 degrees, and mix together 12 eggs and 2 cups milk in a large mixing bowl. Add salt and pepper. Whisk until well combined.
Mince one shallot, dice a green pepper, and remove leaves then chop up a bunch of kale (about 2-3 cups, chopped). Mix vegetables and 1 c shredded cheddar cheese into egg mixture.
Expert Tip: Use leftover vegetables in your fridge/kitchen, or buy pre-chopped vegetables for convenience.
When sausage is done cooking, add to egg mixture and stir together. Spray a 9x13 inch glass baking dish with cooking spray. Pour egg mixture into pan.
Top with more shredded cheese if desired. Cook for 30 minutes, or until eggs are cooked all the way through. Serve, refrigerate, or freeze for breakfast for the week.
Expert Tip: Slice into 8-12 pieces and freeze individual portions for quick breakfasts and lunches
- Use your favorite sweet breakfast sausage.
- Use leftover vegetables in your fridge/kitchen, or buy pre-chopped vegetables for convenience.
- Slice into 8-12 pieces and freeze individual portions for quick breakfasts and lunches
Can you freeze a breakfast casserole?
Yes, it's a great way to a quick meal. Slice it up into individual servings, and then freeze on a baking sheet until frozen and place in a large freezer bag OR freeze in individual servings.
How do you reheat a breakfast casserole?
Place a serving of the casserole on a microwave safe plate and microwave for up to 60 seconds, or until warm. (Microwaving times may vary depending on individual microwave capabilities). Eat immediately.
How can I repurpose this casserole?
- Stuff it into a baguette or between a couple slices of bread for a quick lunch or dinner.
- Heat up a tortilla and wrap a slice of this casserole in it. Top with salsa if you'd like.
What can I make with leftover ingredients?
Since this recipe makes lots of servings, there may not be many leftovers, but if there are you can make-
- (eggs) Egg Roll Up/Ugandan Rolex, Microwave Egg Bowl.
- (sausage) serve it as part of this Waffle Bar, with these Chocolate Waffles, Bananas Foster Pancakes, or in either of the recipes to use up the eggs.
- (kale) Kale Apple & Pecan Salad, Warm Kale Salad with Pomegranate Dressing, Apple & Cheddar Omelet, Harvest Bowl, this Breakfast Sandwich, or a Simple Sauteed Kale Salad.
Did you make this sausage breakfast casserole? Leave me a comment & rating to share how it turned out!
Chorizo Breakfast Casserole
- Glass Casserole Pan
- cutting board
- Large mixing bowl
- 2 links chorizo sausage or about 6 ounces
- 6 eggs
- ½ cup milk
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup frozen potatoes o'brien
- ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese or similar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Chop 2 links of chorizo sausage into small pieces.
- Mix together 6 eggs, ½ cup milk, ½ teaspoon salt, ½ teaspoon ground black pepper.
- Add chopped chorizo, 1 cup potatoes o'brien to eggs. Mix together.
- Transfer to greased/sprayed 8x8 inch pan. Top with ½ cup shredded cheese. Bake for 25-30 minutes. Or until cooked through. Enjoy immediately or store in fridge/freeze for later.
- If using uncooked sausages, brown in a skillet before adding to egg mixture. You can also brown cooked sausage too, but don't have to.
- Add any additional mix-ins that you'd like. Diced tomatoes, more peppers/onions, zucchini, regular hashbrowns/potatoes, more cheese, jalapenos would be great added.
- Top with salsa, fresh cilantro, guacamole, or avocado slices if desired.
- You can also serve this chorizo breakfast casserole on a tortilla.