These refried bean tacos are hands down the easiest and most delicious 10 minute dinner. All you need to do is scour your fridge and pantry for a few essentials like refried beans, taco seasoning, veggies, cheese and salsa.
[This recipe was originally posted in February 2017. It has been updated with new cooking instructions, expert tips, FAQ, related recipes, video and ways to repurpose/use up ingredients]
Table of contents
How will these bean tacos make your life easier?
Tacos, just like these refried bean tacos (can) make a super easy dinner. Use up leftover protein, veggies, and whatever else you have on hand. Buy pre chopped veggies, and precooked meat OR canned beans for super speedy assembly.
For example, make up this Instant Pot pulled pork to throw in a taco + so many other dishes, make easy & freezable breakfast tacos, or switch up your taco game with these easy fish tacos with white sauce & orange salsa. You're welcome.
What makes this dish so good?
How do I make these tacos with refried beans?
The first step to make refried bean tacos is to mix together refried beans and taco seasoning in a bowl. Then top your refried bean mixture with shredded cheese. Place the bowl in the microwave and cook, 30 seconds at a time, until cheese is melted.
Spread out about ¼ cup of bean and cheese mixture per tortilla. 2-3 tortillas should be good for one serving. Top with salsa, cabbage/vegetables, and top with fresh cilantro if you have some. This is just the base for your tacos.
You can add any other toppings that you have on hand like rice, sliced peppers, tomatoes, pickled onions, avocado or guacamole, or another sauce. The topping options for delicious refried bean tacos are endless, just use what you have on hand.
- Use flour or corn tortillas, whichever you have/like.
- Use whatever vegetables you have on hand, cabbage, onions, bell peppers, tomatoes, zucchini, romaine lettuce, radishes are a few examples.
- You don't need to use the exact amounts of each ingredient in this recipe, just add spoonfuls to your taco.
- Swap the cheese for vegan cheese, or omit for vegan tacos.
- Other great add-ins: rice, sliced peppers, tomatoes, pickled onions, sour cream, avocado or guacamole.
- Serve with chips and salsa or a salad if you'd like more food.
Refried beans are easier to eat than regular beans in tacos. They don't fall out, that's what makes these tacos so easy to make and eat!
I recommend including beans in your veggie tacos, and then add whatever vegetables you have on hand, cabbage, onions, bell peppers, tomatoes, zucchini, radishes are a few examples.
What can I make with leftover ingredients?
- Refried Beans: Quesadilla or a Burrito Bowl.
- Salsa: Breakfast Tacos, Sausage and Egg Casserole, or Microwave Egg Bowl.
- Cabbage: Red Wine Vinegar Coleslaw, Instant Pot Corned Beef and Cabbage, Vegan Soy Sauce Coleslaw Dressing.
Did you make these refried bean tacos? Leave me a comment & rating to share how they turned out!
Refried Bean Tacos
- can opener
- ½-3/4 cup refried beans
- ½-3/4 teaspoon taco seasoning
- 1-2 tablespoons shredded cheddar cheese
- 2-3 taco sized tortillas corn or flour
- ¼-1/2 cup salsa
- ¾-1 cup sliced cabbage
- 1 tablespoon cilantro leaves
- 1 whole lime quartered
- Add ½-3/4 cup refried beans to microwave safe bowl, mix in ½-3/4 teaspoon taco seasoning. Top with shredded cheddar cheese. Microwave until cheese melts, in 30 second increments.
- Divide beans between 2-3 taco sized tortillas, top with salsa, cabbage/vegetables, cilantro leaves, and any additional toppings. Serve with lime wedges.
- I recommend using about ¼ cup of beans per tortilla, so if you'd like 2 tacos, heat up ½ cup refried beans. Heat up ¾ cup for 3 tortillas.
- Use ¼ teaspoon taco seasoning per ¼ cup of beans. (½ teaspoon for ½ cup beans, and ¾ teaspoon for ¾ cup beans)
- Just use whatever vegetables you have on hand, cabbage, onions, bell peppers, tomatoes, zucchini, radishes are a few examples.
- No need to measure out ingredients, just use a spoon to spoon each ingredient on the tortilla and eat with a fork if it's too big to eat with your hands.
Want to get more single serving recipes like these refried bean tacos delivered to your inbox? Click here to download my Single Serving Cookbook.
Recipes are great, but you’ll need a simple 3 step process to create a meal plan that make cooking easy & helps you stop wasting food. Check out this expertly developed meal planning guide to get started.
Sonali- The Foodie Physician says
Stunning photos Rebecca! These look super tasty and super easy- win win!!
Anne|Craving Something Healthy says
LOVE all of those beautiful colors! I want to dive right in 🙂
thanks so much Anne!
Julie @ RDelicious Kitchen says
beautiful photos! So colorful!
Thanks so much, Julie!
Jessica @ Nutritioulicious says
What a delicious meatless taco meal!
Thanks Jessica! they're perfect for meatless Monday & taco Tuesday 🙂
Lauren Harris-Pincus says
Such a heart healthy dish- yum!
Black bean tacos are just about my favorite for a quick taco fix. These look great!
oh man me too! thanks Rebecca
Lauren Grant | Zestful Kitchen says
These photos make me want to dive right in! I'm hungry now!
Thanks Lauren! they're really good 🙂
Black bean tacos are my favorite. I am making them often and my family love them.
they're so easy & so good!
Lisa | Garlic & Zest says
Tacos are my jam -- and these veggie filled beauties are perfect for our Meatless Mondays. Thanks for the inspiration!
they totally are! thanks
Tacos are definitely a favorite and these sound like a great way to use up some odds and ends of veg as well. Black beans are if course always good!
Bintu | Recipes From A Pantry says
We love tacos in our house! These look SO good - might have to make them for the family this week.
that's awesome! thanks, and I love just how easy tacos are
Andrea Metlika says
These are awesome! Black Beans and rice with all the toppings, Yummy!